Replace Trunk lift - '40 Chevy

Started by teal32, October 17, 2008, 05:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teal32

I have original trunks lifts/springs on the '40 Chevy. I want to replace them as one of many winter projects. Lookin' for some ideas. I have thought about gas struts/springs. Or, I know that I can go electric, but not to sure if I want to have another way for the battery to go dead. I "boss" is always in and out of the trunk at shows and cruises. What have some of you folks done?
Your drug test came back positive...Welcome aboard!

Don\'t get to close....I\'m alergic to stupid

enjenjo

Napa in the parts and accessories catalog has tool box lid struts. They come in several lengths, and pressures so you can figure the force needed to hold the lid open, and go from there. They also have mounting studs, so a fabricated bracket on the trunk lid, and opening are all you need to make it work.

I have also used a power window lift, mounted to the side, with a rod that will push the lid open and closed. With this setup, you really don't need a latch, the linkage will hold the lid shut just fine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a pair of struts on the '40 convert. Been ther for 20 years and getting a little weak. No idea what they are from. I fabricated mounting brackets that used exiting holes.  Have a GM trunk lock mounted in the pan below the lid. The "hook" is mounted on the back side of the sunken license plate frame.

The lock inspiration came from the '62 Corvette I had for 15 years before trading it for the '40 thirty years ago.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!