Aluminum Radiator

Started by BFS57, October 14, 2008, 12:44:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I always get so much info when I ask a question I thought I would ask this one.
As some of you know I drive daily a 57 Chevy well, It's time to do some upgrades which are so many I really don't know where to start but I recently purchased an Aluminum Radiator that is "supposed to" bolt right in to my Chevy except that this radiator has 3 rows of 1" tubes instead of the normal 2 rows. My question is what precautions or what ever should I be aware of when mounting this beast. I know that aluminum is kind of soft so I went out and purchased some rubber Isolators (large rubber washers) to help with vibration. Is there any other things I should look out for when it comes time to install hoses or anything? The radiator is so massive, I think I'm going to hook my transmission direct to the radiator cause I'm sure there is more than enough cooling going on with this unit!
Any hints would be appreciated!
Thanks Guys and Gals.

Bruce

BFS57

Hello again;
WOW! Do you mean I'm the first to mount an aluminum radiator! Well, I guess I had better take pix so the rest of you can learn from what I do be it good or bad!

Bruce

348tripower

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello again;
WOW! Do you mean I'm the first to mount an aluminum radiator! Well, I guess I had better take pix so the rest of you can learn from what I do be it good or bad!

Bruce

No your not the first.  I have had three of them. I didn't mout them any differently than a copper brass unit. I had one in my 37 for 7 years and not a problem. It was a  AFCO.  I hav e a generic in the truck and the Stude and they hold up really well.
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

As far as I know, there is nothing special needed to mount one. Most of the ones that I have installed, I designed the mounts, and they are the same as what I would use on a brass radiator. Most times I get the side panels made with 6 to 8 keyhole shaped holes on the side plates, then bolt formed aluminum angles to those holes with 10-32 carriage bolts. That way I can put it exactly where I want in, rather than depend on the radiator fabricator to get it right the first time.

BY the way, the last several I have done have been from PRC, no problems so far, and he builds what I want. Price is right too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.