tom36

A friend of mine posed this question to me, " If you use an early Bronco
rear end the yoke is off center about 2 in. Will it work that way or will
I have to shorten one end about one in. to center it? Somebody
must have done this before.
I was told that it won't work because you are trying to make the
driveshaft do two different angles. I just want to know before I go any
further. "
My initial answer would be if Ford does it, why won't it work, But I'll ask the experts.  Tom..

348tripower

The 96 Chevy truck frame I am using for the COE is the same. I never thought about it I just shortened the shaft and hooked it up. :D
Don Colliau

river1

you want some offset in comparison to the tranny output. it "works" the U-joint and keeps the bearing from galling up. it doesn't matter whether the offset is side to side or up/down.

this i pulled from the dark recesses of my head so if i'm incorrect someone will correct me.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

tomslik

Quote from: "river1"you want some offset in comparison to the tranny output. it "works" the U-joint and keeps the bearing from galling up. it doesn't matter whether the offset is side to side or up/down.

this i pulled from the dark recesses of my head so if i'm incorrect someone will correct me.

later jim

or both BUT check and make sure it don't hit yer driveshaft tunnel.... :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

chimp koose

I read somewhere that you should try and make sure there is no more than a 7degree angle in the driveshaft from parallel to not overwork the ujoints.As long as the pinion shaft and engine trans are parallel they can be offset.

Deuce

I have a Bronco rear end under my 32 Roadster. I have a short ( 27 inch long ) driveshaft. I did offset the engine about 3/4 of a inch to the right side ... but that was for steering clearance ... not trying to correct the pinion offset.

I have over 50 thousand trouble free miles on the rear end U-joints ... but I did start with NEW U-joints.

:D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

enjenjo

Ok, lets just suppose the offset is up and down. that would be ok. So now we flip the car on it's side, the offset is side to side now, but hasn't changed, still ok. Next we flip the car half way back on it's wheels, same angles, but at 45 degrees, still ok. And it's still one angle.

As stated earlier, 7 degrees is about the most with standard Ujoints, but if you need more, it can be done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tom36

Thanks for the replys---I'll pass them om on.  Tom...