Control arm fitment

Started by Jbird, October 02, 2008, 08:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

A friend of mine wants to put dropped spindles with disc brakes on his 63 Chevy pickup. He has the complete kit for a 75 Chevy PU. He thinks maybe he could use the control arms off a 75 on the 63. Are the 75 control arms a bolt on to the 63 crossmember?   TIA   Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Crosley.In.AZ

seems like that Tomslik fellow had some thoughts on that suspension conversion....  8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"seems like that Tomslik fellow had some thoughts on that suspension conversion....  8)

actually, 63 up was a coil spring front rather than the torsion bars on a 60-62 so....but i think you MAY have to chang out the crossmember but i don't know for sure.

btw, i DO have a disc brake setup for a 71 (supposedly you don't have to change balljoints,etc) but no drop as they are oem spindles 9if you're interested)

cheap;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Mac

Quote from: "Jbird"A friend of mine wants to put dropped spindles with disc brakes on his 63 Chevy pickup. He has the complete kit for a 75 Chevy PU. He thinks maybe he could use the control arms off a 75 on the 63. Are the 75 control arms a bolt on to the 63 crossmember?   TIA   Jbird 8)

I have a `63 too and have been studying the various ways to drop the front and upgrade to disc brakes. Here's a good thread from the Chevy Talk `60-`66 truck forum: http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/187532/

If your friend's kit includes the control arms they will bolt right on to the `63 crossmember but "may" result in the inability to get the camber quite right. It will also increase the track with a few inches. Some have done it though and still found no tire wear or drivability problems.
Also, the `75 spindles along with the rest of the brake parts can be fitted to the `63 control arms just with a ball joint swap. Either way he'll run into tie rod issues but there are remedies for that, too.
Who\'s yer Data?

Jbird

Thanks guys... tomslik I tried to get him to use my 71 front end but he wants the urethane bushings..... Mac, thanks for the link. Do you know how much the track width increases? I'm thinking I could modify the upper control arm mounts to get the camber adjustable enough.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Mac

Quote from: "Jbird"Mac, thanks for the link. Do you know how much the track width increases? I'm thinking I could modify the upper control arm mounts to get the camber adjustable enough.  Jbird 8)

I'm not sure I've ever seen an exact number quoted but guess it to be a couple - three inches. If your friend does the net encourage him to join that Chevy Talk forum. Lots of great help over there.
Who\'s yer Data?