1962 Ford Falcon swap to straight axle

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 05, 2008, 12:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I understand this swap to a straight axle under an early Ford Falcon is similar to an  early  Nova conversion to a straight axle..

As I understand this , the OEM unibody rails are re-enforced a bit for the mounting of the spring perches?

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

i think I would plate the area where the perches will end up (if that's what you're asking)
i know they don't unbolt like a nova where you can unbolt the front tub..

but neither do my rambler :wink:

uhh, why are you going to a straight axle?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

dragrcr50

we just wrap a bit of 11 gauge at the end where the spring attaches in front and add a couple of down bars if the inner wells are removed,  a small chevy fits great after that, walla, kool * gasser, and i love gassers hehe . sam
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Crosley.In.AZ

Tomslik,

I'm just exploring ideas with this old car I have.  I've have not owned a gasser style car in many years.

thanks guys   for the input
Tony

wayne petty

just curious... i was junk yarding last week and totally forgot that i saw a early chevy van with a straight axle...

i knew a lot of people used the econoline axles.. but i was not sure of the chevy van straight axle... i forgot my tape measure so i did not get a chance to measure anything... as i was thinking about.. it...

i will be going back later this week..... it is out in sun valley...

tomslik

straight axles are cool and everything but i think yer falcoon would "work" better with the stock suspension.

just a thought....
yep, i have those once in a while... :shock:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"straight axles are cool and everything but i think yer falcoon would "work" better with the stock suspension.

just a thought....

The stock suspension on the Falcon has an extreme toe in & out problem as the suspension cycles up and down.

I am not looking for the straight axle as a cure...  just looking..

:T)
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "tomslik"straight axles are cool and everything but i think yer falcoon would "work" better with the stock suspension.

just a thought....

The stock suspension on the Falcon has an extreme toe in & out problem as the suspension cycles up and down.

I am not looking for the straight axle as a cure...  just looking..

:T)

yep, just like an early nova.
and PROBABLY my rambler but i'll never know for sure as i got my MII crossmember last week;)
i'd STILL like to figure out how i can get more travel out if it, though...

GPster

I never checked the reasoning but Jegs used to sell frame kits set-up to use Vega struts. Maybe because of the Falcon spring towers struts would be a way to go. Some of the look has always been associated with the lack of a front bumper and the height. Where it used to be that axels out of trucks with longitudinal leaf springs there seems to be some now with traverse springs and wishbones. Maybe you could find enough factory bolt holes to hold a cross spring crossmember.  I wonder if something like an early Bronco style might work,  coils and split wishbones? You could build a tube between the ends of the axel housing and throw the "Pumpkin" , housing and axels away and it would still leave you with disc brakes. Every Wednesday when the local bargain shopper comes out the first thing I check is "Wanted,Automotive" hoping maybe I have something that somebody needs. After that I am attracted to the "stripping for parts", wondering if anyone has a "Tri 5" . Just a shell with a straight front axel and a gutted front clip welded together to flip and then I could take the 4.3 V6 and set it in the stock bellhousing mounts and look like I have engine set-back. Of course the other day an S10 that had sat disabled for days accross the street got jury-rigged and made it to the intersection before it caught on fire. I was going to the scene to offer him $50.00 for it but reminded that I don't need another project. GPster

wayne petty

if you are having toe in problems when you lift the front end on take off... lets think about it....

is all the suspension drop necessary???

can a lower bump stop/ travel limiter be installed..

there are some nice large ones on gm rears that deflect the plastic transverse springs...
dorman has replacements... probably too large to wedge in...

one of my friends just came back from the offroad expo at pomona..  i saw in one of the many catalogs ... tall bump stops...

or some of the smaller ones shown.. from dodge truck apps...

when i helped out on harrells outlaw chevelle build he ended up limiting the downward excessive travel with a loop of steel cable...

that even helped with the reaction time.. as the car had less upwards suspension travel before it would pick up the front wheels and go forward..

wayne petty

my thought continues... bend or weld up a wide  piece that hangs over the frame rail... and has a lower piece to help retain it...

(the idea of it being wide... is to spread the load... on the frame rail..)

this can be installed and removed without mods to the frame rail...

if your frame rail looks like this.. i seem to recall the flat plate is on the outside... but i may be totally wrong...

the lower plate will have slightly slotted holes.. and the bottom of the upper plate will have flat head bolts through from the back...

again.. this is just one of my unask for ideas...   you do have the ability to round file it...    click... poof.. gone...