50 Mercury Chassis

Started by mrloboy, October 03, 2008, 08:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrloboy

I am starting a new project with a 50 Mercury. Plans are for a 351W with an AOD transmission. I was wondering what my options are for a front clip or full chassis swap. The floor will need to be completely replaced so modifications for frame clearance is not an issue. What system fits well regarding track width and what should I look for to accommodate the Ford drivetrain. Thanks, Rick

enjenjo

Well, Tex Smith and * Dean both recommended 70s Olds Cutlass frames. Of course that may not work with a 351. I have seen one done with a Ford Crown Vic chassis from the late 80s. The way that one was done, he used the entire floor and all from the Crown Vic, and channeled the Merc body over it. You may have to change the wheelbase to make it work, just do some measuring first.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

Just a quick note. Isuue 2 of Brenchrace, that Don has referenced in the Forum just below, has a short article about a Merc. I haven't read it yet but it's talking about a clip and from the in progress pics it looks like a lot of channeling happened too. The results look pretty good and the pictures are free. I try not to pass up on too many of those deals. GPster

sirstude

There is a guy over here that did a 53 Buick and used the entire floor and chassis out of a Jag.  He then turbocharged the Buick Straight 8.  I say this, like Frank said, to think about using more than just the chassis.  He used the entire interior from the Jag also and just bolted the seats to the stock Jag locations.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

I measured up one time to see how a 79 Toronado chassis would fit in a 49 Merc, as I remember it was pretty close to right.

mrloboy

I measured the track width on a mid 80's LTD and it seemed to be 5-6" wider than the '50. I will check the Cutlass style frame. I have a '75 Chevelle in my boneyard. As for the Windsor fitment, can the SBF be converted to a rear sump oil pan? What parts would I need to convert it? Are there any websites or forums dedicated to the 49-51 Mercs? I am traditionally a '30's -'40's car builder and have limited knowledge on the newer stuff, but willing to learn! Thanks, Rick

enjenjo

4x4 trucks and vans have a rear sump pan for SBF. get the pickup tube too.

Charlie Chops 1940

Quote from: "enjenjo"I measured up one time to see how a 79 Toronado chassis would fit in a 49 Merc, as I remember it was pretty close to right.

Front wheel drive....that would be interesting. I had a '79 Riv that we put 198K on. All three boys used it as their daily when their turn came up.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!