No Tampa - Maybe Lakeland

Started by Grandadeo, October 07, 2008, 09:20:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Won't be able to hook up with Bry and the gang at Tampa - A previous commitment and some old friends coming into town put the kybosh on that plan.  However some other old friends I saw last weekend at the FLA Roadster meet clued me in to the Lakeland Lake Mirror meet coming up on the 17th to the 19th, the weekend after Tampa.  Not sure how long Jack is down for or if any of you other Florida boys are up for it.  I'm calling for more info on the meet today.  Looks like the Florida Old Junk Car Season is just starting to kick into high gear.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

msuguydon

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Won't be able to hook up with Bry and the gang at Tampa - A previous commitment and some old friends coming into town put the kybosh on that plan.  However some other old friends I saw last weekend at the FLA Roadster meet clued me in to the Lakeland Lake Mirror meet coming up on the 17th to the 19th, the weekend after Tampa.  Not sure how long Jack is down for or if any of you other Florida boys are up for it.  I'm calling for more info on the meet today.  Looks like the Florida Old Junk Car Season is just starting to kick into high gear.

Lee

Here is a link to the show...  

http://www.lakemirrorclassic.com/content/

I don't know Jack, a Concours d'Elegance sponsored by Mercedes-Benz.. seems a little out of the league of the Tuna Boat  :oops: .. I'm not saying, just saying..
Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Grandadeo

I just got off their web site and the phone with the folks putting this on.  Very nice folks.  They are full and have cut off registration but may find some more space to fit me in.  I know what you mean about the Concours d'Elegance thing, I think that's a bit over my head too.  They would probably puke when they got a look at all my rock chips and the bird eye in my windshield.  But I earned them on the road.  Ya don't get too many getting on and off the trailer.  

Looks like I may have jumped the gun on this one.  Going to call my old friends and see just what they do when they go to Lakeland.  They may just play spectator, not sure.  If there is any decent parking close to the show, it still might be a fun time.  

Any other suggestions for that weekend.  I think I'll be cut off from do any weekend trips for a few weeks after that.  Got a new grandson do the end of the month and there ain't no getting Grandma out of town then.

***Just got off the phone with my friend Randy.  He is going as a spectator but has another friend who is registered.  They will be moteling it Friday night there so I think we will plan on heading up.  He said there is a parking lot on the south side of Lake Mirror that a lot of non-registered rods and 50s-60's cars park in.  Me being a first timer, I'll just have to play it by ear and see what developes.***

Lee

phat rat

I'm going to my sons in Jacksonville after Tampa and will be leaving there the 19th or 20th so wouldn't be going down that way again
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Grandadeo"Won't be able to hook up with Bry and the gang at Tampa - A previous commitment and some old friends coming into town put the kybosh on that plan.  However some other old friends I saw last weekend at the FLA Roadster meet clued me in to the Lakeland Lake Mirror meet coming up on the 17th to the 19th, the weekend after Tampa.  Not sure how long Jack is down for or if any of you other Florida boys are up for it.  I'm calling for more info on the meet today.  Looks like the Florida Old Junk Car Season is just starting to kick into high gear.

Lee

Likely story... :roll:
You probably don't have a thong that fits anymore, so you're not making the trip over because you wouldn't qualify to be in the "group shot" photo... :wink:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Grandadeo

Well my fishnet  thong is at the dry cleaners and won't be ready till after Tampa so I knew I just wouldn't fit in with you guys without it.

Grandadeo

Quote from: "msuguydon"

Lee

Here is a link to the show...  

http://www.lakemirrorclassic.com/content/

I don't know Jack, a Concours d'Elegance sponsored by Mercedes-Benz.. seems a little out of the league of the Tuna Boat  :oops: .. I'm not saying, just saying..

Drove up to the Lakeland show Friday night and spent the day there Saturday.  I was VERY happily impressed by the whole deal.  I had the same hesitation as you about it being a Concourse etc. etc.  There was an amazing variety of classic cars/trucks/wooden boats/vintage race cars/ rods/customs/muscle cars, and about any thing else you could think of with an engine in it.  This was probably the most well organized, participant friendly antique meet I've ever attended.  Since I missed the 500 or so car cut off, they were already full when I decided to go, they put me in the non-registered entry parking area about 200 feet from where my friends who were registered were parked.  The registered cars were all of nice quality but based on the pictures of the Tuna Boat it certainly would be welcome at this show.  Hey they let me bring my Rock Chip Special '32.  Also, I don't remember every being in Downtown Lakeland before.  It's really nice.  The show is centered around Lake Mirror and all the high end restored classic type cars are located there.  But they also take over about 10 city blocks next to the lake where they park all the rest of the cars and trucks.  With registration you get a display stand up sign with your name and car info on it and a boxed lunch for two.  On Friday night they had a Hot Rod gathering down around the lake with a band playing and a ton of folks walking around.  I would highly recommend penciling it in on your 2009 calendar.  It's already on mine.

Lee

msuguydon

I went on Saturday with my son as a spectator.  We had a great time.  I have to agree with Lee, it was a fantastic location, seemed very well organized, some real interesting cars and they had Hooters girls selling beer.  All in all a great day.  A few pictures for you all...

Would plastic be okay for you today?

Proud Member of Team Smart

Grandadeo

Quote from: "msuguydon"I went on Saturday with my son as a spectator.  We had a great time.  I have to agree with Lee, it was a fantastic location, seemed very well organized, some real interesting cars and they had Hooters girls selling beer.  All in all a great day.

Glad you made it over on Saturday.  I think the only pictures I took were of that same green Ford 1 ton with the wooden boat on the green trailer.  Nice rig.  Just wish we could have hooked up but I didn't stay around my car.  After walking the whole event my wife and I parked our butts with some friends in the shade in the Rod section next to a red '32 fordor.  My black with wide whites '32 hiboy was in the parking lot next to the street with the cars for sale.  I left my name and phone number on the seat in case anybody I knew came by.  Had one guy call asking if it was for sale.  I said no and he hung up before I could find out what he was willing to pay.  Its a good thing though.  I don't want to think about selling or rebuilding it before my '48 panel is done.  Not going to be without a car again.

Hey Florida guys, and snowbirds, let's keep in touch about the events we're going to so we don't find out after the fact they we were standing next to each other looking at the same car and didn't know it.  

Lee

river1

Quote from: Grandadeo
Quote from: "msuguydon"let's keep in touch about the events we're going to so we don't find out after the fact they we were standing next to each other looking at the same car and didn't know it.  

Lee

years ago i went to a local chevy only show. i went last minute so i went alone. a week later one of my coworkers asked me, did you go to that show? i said sure why do you ask? he said after he developed his film that he had a found picture of me checking out a camaro. then he asked if i knew that reggie jackson was there. i said no and, since i'm a baseball fan, that i was sorry i missed him. my buddy laughed and showed me the picture. standing next to me was, you guessed it, reggie jackson.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Grandadeo

Jim, sounds similar to my trip to the first LA Grand National a few years back.  When I got home, I think on this forum, I mentioned to Don Dillard that I was sorry I didn't get a chance to see him while I was out there.  Later he said to check out one of his pix from the show.  There I was standing on the other side of the car he was taking the picture of.  That's why its good to communicate ahead of time.

Lee