OEM Mustang ll struts- rubbers n cups

Started by Topsterguy, September 28, 2008, 10:03:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

There seems to be a few opinions on which way the steel cups go against the rubbers when mounting the stock style struts. Some say they should be " the way you wouldn't think - cupped away from the rubbers" and some say they should be cupped towards the rubbers to stop the rubbers from being forced outward.  Waddyathink folks!?
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

Factory they are mounted away from the rubber.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"Factory they are mounted away from the rubber.

That's what I figured / was told before. Thanks!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Topsterguy

Hmmmmm,  a friend sent this pic he found in a factory manual apparently. Don't mean to start a * match tho, just wondering !

enjenjo

That may be a factory manual, but that is not a Mustang II suspension. Looks like early 71 to 72 Pinto to me.

No * match. whatever trips your trigger. I have mounted them both ways depending on my mood. I have also mounted the strut rods forward rather than back. I have Mustang II bushings on my 65 Marlin with the stock suspension. I have used them with flat washers too. Whatever fits.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Topsterguy

Quote from: "enjenjo"That may be a factory manual, but that is not a Mustang II suspension. Looks like early 71 to 72 Pinto to me.

No * match. whatever trips your trigger. I have mounted them both ways depending on my mood. I have also mounted the strut rods forward rather than back. I have Mustang II bushings on my 65 Marlin with the stock suspension. I have used them with flat washers too. Whatever fits.

Thanks, again, enjenjo !