You just never know

Started by enjenjo, September 28, 2008, 07:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have an elderly aunt, she is near 90. Her only child does not live close to her, so she depends on me to help her with her car.

A week ago, she called me, very upset, there was something wrong with her car, when the speedo said 50, it felt like she was going 70, the gas mileage was terrible, and it was her brother in laws fault. She asked if she could bring it over for me to look at. I told her to bring it over, and I would see what I could do.

When she got here, she told me that her brother in law kept hitting the speed button to go faster when he was driving it, and now it wouldn't go slow. :shock:  So I suggested a test drive, and for her to show me what he did. On the test drive, she pointed to the cruise control buttons, calling them speed buttons.  So it dawned on me that he had the cruise on, and was using the accelerate button. So I set the cruise control at 50 and then hit the coast button. I told her to let me know when it was going as fast as she wanted it to. at about 35, she said that was the speed she wanted. We drove back to my house, and she left happy.

Friday I saw her again, she thanked me profusely for fixing her car, the gas mileage was back, and all was well with the world. I can't convince her I didn't do anything. :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

You made the time to listen to her and spend time with her when she was very upset.You knew how to ask her what she wanted in a way that she could explain(let me know when it is going the speed you like)and adjusted it to her liking.You understand your aunt enough to be able to communicate with her effectively .What you did may not seem like much to you but I"ll bet it meant a LOT to your aunt.

57larry

you made an elderly lady happy, that's ccol

UGLY OLDS

See Frank...It's like we been telling ya....   If you can't fix it ...It aint broke ... :D  );b(
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

reborn55

Reminds me of working in Buick dealership back in the late 70's--elderly lady bought  a new yellow Buick Skylark.  she brought it back about a month later wanting to trade it in because she had a hard time seeing over the steering wheel.  said it felt like she was driving a bus.  Seem the salesman was so eager to sell her a car he didn't bother to show her how the tilt column worked.  One little show of the lever solved the problem.