What do you take with you to car shows.

Started by Learpilot, September 24, 2008, 02:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Learpilot

I am trying to take less "stuff" in the trunk. I like to take tools and some get home parts. I have old fanbelts, old radiator hoses ,an efi fuel pump , efi computer and a gallon of water. The problem is my tool box is very heavy.
What do you have in your emergency tool box ?
Does NSRA have a recommendation on emergency "stuff" to take on a road trip.
Thanks for all your input !!!
Rick

GPster

AAA card and your cell phone? I'd think that the tool box should be vehicle specific and just leave it in the vehicle. The best tool box story I ever heard was when my father and two uncles went deer hunting in upper New York state. My father was always shy of money come winter and never bought anti freeze. He would drain the engine block of water each night and remove the 6V battery and bring it in to keep it warm. He had gone through this routine on Friday night when they got to camp and of course didn't have to put things back until Sunday before the trip home. Some water had been left in the radiator and had frozen in such a way to fool them into thinking the engine block had been re-filled with water, but it hadn't. Going on down the road the vehicle started to over-heat because the engine/radiator was not full with water. They pulled over and found a creek down over the bank but they had nothing to carry water in. They did have a couple of full six packs of beer but my uncle wouldn't hear of them pouring it out. My one uncle and my father got to walk down the bank and back up carrying empty beer cans filled with creek water while my other uncle sat on the runnind board of the car emptying beer cans for them. So I guess you should have at least one six pack in your tool box. GPster

rumrumm

I carry a cell phone, my AAA card, and a few cleanup items. If I travel over an hour away, I may throw in a multi-bit screw driver, needle nose pliers, and pair of vice grips. You don't have much room in a deuce coupe for much more than a wing and a prayer.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

papastoyss

I carry a couple of army surplus canvas bags, they are flexible & store easily. They hold a socket set, rachet,wrenches,pliers,vice grips. I also carry a small wad of wire, fuses and a test light.I'm pretty popular with motel parking lot mechanics.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

tomslik

hardly carried tools going to carshows.
didn't want to work on other peoples cars.....
bad enough dragging them in with a tow rope.

harley tool kit for me.
cell phone and towing company ph#

and if running it thru a car wash ain't good enough, well,wgaf... :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat rat

I've driven my coupe from one end of the country to the other in the last 11 years. I carry a very small plastic toolbox with very minimal tools. These consist of a couple of screwdrivers, 3 or 4 wrenches, couple of pliers, extra fuses, a small hammer and some plastic wire ties. In my opinion the most important item I carry is the list of parts I used along with their part numbers. I also carry extra fan belts,  a Crossfire distributor cap and because of cost on the road a new mini starter. I've never felt I should have more. It would be impossible to carry enough tools and parts for possible scenario
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Bib_Overalls

In addition to some tools and expendables I carry a set of front bearings, races, and seals. And a folding lawn chair.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

HotRodLadyCrusr

Along with just about everything listed above by others.....including now an extra rear bearing and seal  :D ,  I also carry a spare (I've never used but plenty of friends have, a full size floor jack, duck tape, and fire extingisher.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

reborn55

Carry a briefcase type tool kit--with assortment of wrenches sockets, etc, wire, connectors, fuses, couple of relays, multimeter, spare tire, jack,tarp for rainstorms,  in the ragtop-----in the 55 I carry a lot more because the trunk is bigger.

Learpilot

Great idea about front wheel bearings. I know what you guys mean about having tools and knowledge and skill to fix cars on the road. I hate to see a fellow Hot Rodder not be able to get home and I can help.
I am amazed at the numbers of guys that don't know hardly anything about how to fix their cars. We were at a car show and one of the guys ask me if I knew what caused his carb to spill gas out of the top. He said he just beat on the carb until it stop coming out the top.  I said your needle seat has trash or is worn and is not shutting off your fuel when the bowl is full.
I told him to get a carb kit and just rebuild it. He said he had never done anything like that before. Wow !

DRD57

Each of my vehicles has a small socket/wrench/screwdriver/plier tool kit that you can buy at just about any pseudo auto parts store or discount retailer.

In the hot rods I also carry a doctor bag with duct tape, electrical tape, zip ties, electrical wire, bailing wire, fuses, a little can of assorted nuts & bolts, bulbs, hose clamps and a 10" long piece of wood 4x4 (you'd be surprised how often this get used).  This bag also has a few parts specific to the car like a fan belt, front wheel bearing, and a spare points dizzy in the coupe.  I also have a scissor jack, a spare tire, lug wrench, a gallon of water, a couple quarts of oil, a quart of tran fluid, a chair and a bottle of sun screen. In addition to all this, in the roadster I keep another bag with an extra hat, sunglasses, a beanie, hooded sweatshirt, leather jacket, motorcycle rain suit and gloves.

You might think that the trunk of a deuce roadster or Model A coupe would be pretty full with all this stuff but, on a trip I can add an ice chest and luggage for two to the load and still get the lid shut.

I am a master of putting 10 lbs. of * in a 5 lb. bag.

Ohio Blue Tip

Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Rayvyn

Quote from: "phat rat"I've driven my coupe from one end of the country to the other in the last 11 years. I carry a very small plastic toolbox with very minimal tools. These consist of a couple of screwdrivers, 3 or 4 wrenches, couple of pliers, extra fuses, a small hammer and some plastic wire ties. In my opinion the most important item I carry is the list of parts I used along with their part numbers. I also carry extra fan belts,  a Crossfire distributor cap and because of cost on the road a new mini starter. I've never felt I should have more. It would be impossible to carry enough tools and parts for possible scenario

You forgot that "gold-chainer" cup holder I saw you install awhile back... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :0-0
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

UGLY OLDS

Spare tire & jack..Can of "Fix-a-Flat"..Cheap Taiwan "suitcase socket set"..Pliers..Vise-Grips..GOOD Flashlight with batteries...Couple of screwdrivers..Cable ties..A couple of 60" jumper leads..Fuses ...Duct tape..( The roll doubles as a "cup holder" on the floor ) ..A spare fuel filter ....Jumper cables..Some pieces of 2X6 wood stashed under the spare tire...
A roll of papar towels & windex so the Mrs can keep the ol' bus cleaned up....
Fire extinguisher INSIDE the car....
All the tools fit into a little 8X10 Chinese "Tool bag" I got for $1.00 at one of the "cheap tool vendors"...
AAA card with "extra towing miles" ..... 8)

Something to think about over the winter...If you carry a spare tire..Park your car in the garage & let the air out of one of the tires...NOW..Install your spare with nothing other than what is carried in the car.... :?  You will learn very quickly what needs to be carried with you.... :shock:

Bob ..."Been there"............ :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****