Hey Enjenjo

Started by papastoyss, September 17, 2008, 05:02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

I  have found a 9" rear end from a 1980 F150 4x4 cheap . Is there any reason I can't have it narrowed to app. 56 " drum to drum & use it under my 40 coupe? I can get the housing done locally & send the axles to Moser to be shortened & redrilled to 4 3/4 pattern .THANKS
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

Charlie Chops 1940

Before you  do that check with Moser to see if the axle shafts you want shortened and resplined are heat treated and the right diameter outboard of the splines to allow them to be resplined.  You may need to know the current length and the desired length.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

No reason at all. 80 model axles can be shortened no problem.  You might look at exactly how much you narrow it, if you can narrow it 8", you can use the short side axle as the new long side, and have the other axle shortened 8". In any case 8" is the minimum unless you start with longer axles, as each one has to be cut at least 4" to remove the undercut behind the splines.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

57larry

what's a ballpark figure to have a rearend shorten?

enjenjo

Moser charges $110 to cut a housing, and $110 to cut and spline a pair of axles.

papastoyss

Quote from: "enjenjo"No reason at all. 80 model axles can be shortened no problem.  You might look at exactly how much you narrow it, if you can narrow it 8", you can use the short side axle as the new long side, and have the other axle shortened 8". In any case 8" is the minimum unless you start with longer axles, as each one has to be cut at least 4" to remove the undercut behind the splines.
This housing was under a 1980 F150 4x4 w/ 4.9 (300) six & manual trans. It is 64 3/4 wide axle flange to axle flange, so I should be ok going down to 56 in. It also had a 7/8 rear sway bar that looks useable. And (drumroll please) I scored, it had a 3:50 posi with 4 spider gears! Thanks again for your help Also, this rear was equal length on both sides, no long & short axles.If I need to send the housing to Moser is there any other option than bend over & pay truck freight?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

phat46

Quote from: papastoyss
Quote from: "enjenjo"If I need to send the housing to Moser is there any other option than bend over & pay truck freight?

I sent an axle to them by U.P.S. I made a nice shipping package from 1/4" hardboard that could have been re-used but the axle came back in cardboard. I guess even U.P.S. can't break a Ford 9" axle!!  :lol:  (this was just the axle, not the housing, that can be done at home)

enjenjo

It's only a 100 miles for me, so I usually just drive them down there. You can however UPS ship housings too.

If both axles are the same length, you may have trouble centering the pinion when cutting the width 8" to 9". This amount would take 6" from one axle, and 2" from the other, which can't be done because of the undercut. you can however cut both sides 4", which offsets the pinion 2" to the right, but centers the rear cover between the wheels.