Radiator Experience

Started by Canuck, June 11, 2008, 04:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

Just wondering if anyone here has any experience with "US Radiator" rads, and if so what was the outcome?

Have done searches on various sites with mixed results, a couple of greats and a couple with problems with fit.  Looking for more current experience if possible.

Just returned from a holiday in the US and a vendor there offered me a good deal on one with reasonable shipping to just south of the border (North Dakota). Don't really need one yet but have been watching the prices increase almost daily and figure I can store it until needed, if the product is a good one.

Any advice is appreciated.

Canuck

Manitoba, Canada
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

C9

I had one in my 31 on 32 rails roadster, but sold it since it was a 1" lower than a standard 32 radiator.
Mounts etc. were the same as the 32, the height of the core is shorter so the grille shell can come down lower for a better look.
It looks fine on the full fendered 32 roadster it went on.
(I need a 2" lower than 32 radiator.)

My pal bought a standard 29 Model A radiator for his roadster.
Fit well, worked ok, kept things cool even though his engine wasn't optimally set up with vacuum advance for good cooling etc.

The 29 was up and running in 2001 and still running around N/W Arizona today . . . he swapped the roadster for a sedan....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

48bill

I have had one of their desert coolers in my 48 F-1 daily driver since 1999.  It has had a 472 and then 425 Caddy.  Mechanical fan with no shroud and it keeps it arround 195 in the hot weather and I have to block off most of it to get heat in the winter.

I am happy with it.
48bill
Bill C from Connecticut
48 Chevrolet Cabriolet

houston54

I am also running one of their Desert Cooler models with an integrated trans cooler.  Using a Ford Taurus two speed electrical fan with Derale adjustable controller.  Have zero miles on it but this set up would hold 180 sitting on the driveway in Houston heat.  Once the A/C is installed the high speed mode will be wired to kick in with the compressor.

Canuck

Just thought I would give a update on my quest for a radiator. After hearing numerous reports on both US RAdiator and Rick's Radiator Service in Azula, CA, I took a chance.

Phoned Rick and ordered a rad for my A coupe, set up to cool the Buick Nailhead.

Rick told me he would order one from US Rad and it would be shipped in two to three weeks with a three to four day shipping time frame to North Dakota (a parcel service location).

What can I say, in three weeks Rick called to say he was shipping that day. Four days later the rad was in Pembina ND.

Checked the rad when I got it home and it fit into the rad shroud perfectly. Workmanship looked very good. Upper tank has raised ribs, very similar to original Ford rad. The shroud mounting brackets and mounting feet are a bit lighter gauge metal than the original, but look more than adequate.

Delivery on time, as promised, for a good price of a product that looks well made.  

I would recommend dealing with Rick. If anyone is going to his shop, say HI from Jim in Manitoba and tell him thanks.  

Canuck
My 30 Coupe build, with a Nailhead and fenders
  UPDATED JUNE 26, 2017
http://chevelle406.wordpress.com/

DRD57

Quote from: "Canuck"I would recommend dealing with Rick.

Me too. After I wrecked my 32, I took the "S" shaped radiator in there to see if they could fix it. They basically said they could fix it or they could sell me a brand new one for about the same money. I ended up buying two radiators from him for just slightly more than one Walker.