Repairs at the Dealers....

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, June 12, 2004, 10:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Had an interesting experience at the Chevy dealer this week.  On sunday while out & about  the a/c on my 2k Silverado worked great.

I rode my Goldwing to work on monday.  On tuesday NO a/c on the Silverado. Since I bought an extended warranty for the truck when  I bought it new I took the truck to the dealer I bought it from after I checked a few things like belt & fuses & presuure switch.

The dealer calls me thursday afternoon  and says the condensor has a small hole from a rock or something. Warranty folks will NOT pay for repair. " How does $650.00 plus tax sound to you?"... I am asked.  I told him to bolt the truck together and I would pick it up.

I bought a new condensor from another GM dealer. I bought  freon ( 134a) , a little bottle of a/c oil from a local supply house so I could add a slight amount of oil  to the condensor... I have $210.00 in the repair.

I evac'd the system after the R&R of the condensor, then charged it.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

How did you determine how much to put in? R134 pressures are not a reliable indicator of full. Just curious, not saying you did it wrong. :lol: I would have done the same thing, as matter of fact, I have.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

the system calls for 1.8 pounds of 134a.

I use a chart on the ambient temp , air temp from the ducts and the pressures on the gauges
Tony

enjenjo

Ok, just wondered. I have done it using a scale under the bottle. I have also done it with temps.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

On the late systems the pressure switch will shut the system down on low psi......... you know that .  8)

my point is when you reach the level of freon 134a in the system and the pressure switch does not shut the system off you know you are getting towards the full mark . Then you watch guages of pressure and temps.

We made an 80 mile run today,  the a/c worked as new.

I may still buy a new truck this fall or next spring.   :wink:
Tony

unklian

The Dealership Parts Pirates wanted $650 in parts,plus labor,
to fix the power windows on my Caprice.
Per door! :shock:
I managed to find the part number for the plastic sliders that self destructed.$20 each,need 2 per door. :roll:

C9

QuoteSince I bought an extended warranty for the truck when I bought it new

Was wondering why the extended warranty didn't cover the A/C?

As 'spensive as the extended warranties are - about 10% the total cost of our 88 Mustang GT when purchased new - I let it slide.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

SKR8PN

Very rarely is it worth purchasing the extended warranty. It is just one more way for the dealership to get some of your hard earned change.......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.