Help ID my bumper

Started by Mac, September 01, 2008, 07:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac

My Jag came with bumpers that were all too obviously wrong. The chrome is a bit better on one than the other and they were on front and back but they seem to be the exact same style.
Hoping someone can tell what it's from.
Thanks
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

Looks to be Dodge, about 1950 or 51.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Fuzzy

Nice job,Frank.Yep,they're 50 Dodge,that's what are on mine.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Mac

Hey, thanks for the quick replies.
I can't decide which scenario would be more unusual:

1) `50 Dodge bumpers were the same front and rear

2) Somebody scrounged up 2 front or 2 rear bumpers to put on my car.  :?

Edit: A quick trip over to Carnuts site answered the question for me; a `50 Dodge looks the same comin' and goin'.   :lol:
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

QuoteEdit: A quick trip over to Carnuts site answered the question for me; a `50 Dodge looks the same comin' and goin'.  

But they are different, a rear has more curve than a front. It may explain why the chrome is better on one than the other.

Mac

But they are different, a rear has more curve than a front. It may explain why the chrome is better on one than the other.[/quote]

I held the 2 I have together and the curve difference, if there is one, is subtle.
BTW, are you saying there's a relationship between part shape or front / rear mounting and chrome longevity?
Who\'s yer Data?

enjenjo

No, I'm saying the bumper from one car might have better chrome that one from a second car. the rear bumper has more curve than the front one as I recall, I know on the ones I had, there was considerable difference.

Harry

Quote from: "enjenjo"No, I'm saying the bumper from one car might have better chrome that one from a second car. the rear bumper has more curve than the front one as I recall, I know on the ones I had, there was considerable difference.

I have a set of '49 Plymouth bumpers and there is a big difference in the front and rear curve.

Mac

Quote from: "enjenjo"No, I'm saying the bumper from one car might have better chrome that one from a second car. the rear bumper has more curve than the front one as I recall, I know on the ones I had, there was considerable difference.

Durr... I'm a little dense. Guess I was fixated on dealing with same shape F&R bumpers from Dodge.

I checked out Carnut some more and it looks like `49 might have the same blade but different overriders and `51 I found on Google images looks altogether restyled.
Here's a shot of both of my bumpers. Any guess as to if they are front or rear, anybody?
Naturally, all this is to determine eBay-ability.  :evil:
Who\'s yer Data?

Fuzzy

My project car bumpers with the brkts still on them are pretty well buried in the shed,but my parts car still has them mounted on the car.Just got out of the shower,so I can't crawl around out there now.I'll check after work tomorrow.
No billet for this kid!

Fat Cat

If I had to hazard a guess they look like rears. They seem to be to flat across the middle to be fronts

Fuzzy

Sorry for the delay,here's the pix of the bumpers on my 50 Coronet parts car.The front has quite a bit more curvature than the rear one.If you have any success on e-bay,let me know.A buddy has a set of Plymouth ribbed bumpers for me.I once asked Bumper Boys if there was a price break if I gave them all 4 of my bumpers,in exchange for 2 rechrome.They said no,because they weren't very popular,not a good seller.

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Fuzzy

Yeah,yeah,I forgot the pix :roll:  :roll:

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

Mac

Quote from: "Fuzzy"Sorry for the delay,here's the pix of the bumpers on my 50 Coronet parts car.The front has quite a bit more curvature than the rear one.If you have any success on e-bay,let me know.A buddy has a set of Plymouth ribbed bumpers for me.I once asked Bumper Boys if there was a price break if I gave them all 4 of my bumpers,in exchange for 2 rechrome.They said no,because they weren't very popular,not a good seller.

Fuzz

Thanks for the pics Fuzzy. Looks like The Cat was right and the rears are flat across the middle. So I have 2 rear bumpers. Would have been better if I could have listed "F&R Set" but it looks like they prolly won't bring much anyway  -like maybe `69 Charger's would.  :roll:

Thanks to all for the response. I always think what research would be involved without the net and the RRT. Just a few keystrokes some mouse clicks and bam!

BTW: you no have heard the critical comments on Bumper Boyz rep?
Who\'s yer Data?