Emissions rules in Ohio ?

Started by unklian, June 14, 2004, 08:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unklian

A friend of mine is moving to Ohio,with his Model A.

If he has a latemodel EFI motor in it,
what are the emissions requirements to get plates ?

Thanks.

SKR8PN

Where is he going to be in Ohio?????
Last I heard,only Cleveland,Columbus and Cincinatti had inspections........
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

unklian

QuoteWhere is he going to be in Ohio?????

Near Cincinatti.

If they are anything like up here,they will eventually expand the inspections to include everyone. :twisted:

Do they go by the year of the engine?

enjenjo

They go by the year of the car. There is no emissions inspection on an A, as long as it's on an original title.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58Apache

True that it's only a requirement in certain locations, but one of those locations is the Dayton area and surrounding communities. That's the only way they could pass it, to get it put in around the bigger cities.

The money put into the buildings and all that expensive equipment leaves no doubt in my mind that the companies making and selling that equipment were lobbying hard as "concerned citizens caring only about our environment". Let me tell you someone is making one hell of a lot of money and tax payers are paying for it big time.

Besides the computerized equipment with a sophisticated software setup, there are in-ground dyno's that are part of the equipment. The wheels actually turn the barrel to simulate load on a freeway..I guess? Care to guess how much that cost ...times 4 to 6 at each location and several locations per county?

While I agree that something should have been done to clean things up, Detroit has done that rather well. I don't think I have had a vehicle that required checking that didn't pass after a good heat up, and some premium gas.  I am sure there are a few vehicles that need repairs or a tune-up  to pass, but they are a small minority.

So I wonder if there wasn't a cheaper way to check them? And is catching a small minority of cars while the rest spit out so few emissions really worth all of the red tape, personnel, and expensive machinery?

Your tax dollars hard at work!

SKR8PN

I have to agree with you,58Apache.............It's all about the MONEY :evil:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

slocrow

Quote from: "unklian"A friend of mine is moving to Ohio,with his Model A.

If he has a latemodel EFI motor in it,
what are the emissions requirements to get plates ?

Thanks.

If he's locating to a e-check area then he would only have a problem if the A's current title is something other then the model year it represents. Assuming it's a 1930 A with a 1930 A title then know e-check is required, regardless of location. If it has a kit, assembled or any title of that like then they go by the engine year and it's emission requirements.
He may run into a problem converting the out of state title to an Ohio title. Though no e-check would be required for a 30/30 an inspection, primarily of the vin, will be needed. This is done either by a deputy registrar or a dealer with authorization to inspect and confirm. Documentation of ownership is another hurdle and varies by the state he's coming from as some are always suspect; NY, MD, GA, AB, etc.
Most of the documentation requirements can be found on the web under the Ohio State site or by placing a call.
Once he has an Ohio title in hand he can purchase plates. Historical are a one time, good for 50 years, purchase and are needed to associate a model year plate too. Historical plates have some limitations regarding vehicle use but this is hardly if ever challenged. You're only required to run a single rear plate when using a correct model year plate......Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...