Air Flow

Started by 348tripower, September 02, 2008, 09:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

In setting up the engine location behind the cab in the COE, what about air flow?

If I build a pickup style box should the front be open for air flow?  I would like to mount the engine forward under the cab a bit so this would be a necessity. Also I need to leave room for the Gear Vendors overdrive and a driveshaft.  

I could end up with a flat bed, which I would like to avoid, and there would be no air flow problem.

So gang,
Have at this one :!:
Don Colliau

moose

Don,
Are you looking for intake air flow or for cooling? If intake you can make some ram air type ducting routed to good air source.

Tim

jaybee

If I'm reading you correctly you're asking if the front of the bed should have an open area that matches the cutout on the back of the cab?  If that's the case then I say no...as long as there is enough open area around the sides of the engine to allow air to freely flow underneath.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Danimal

For engine cooling, maybe a few underbody ducts to direct some of the air towards the engine. Of course, then you may end up with H2O to deal with. Are you thinking electric fans? What radiator placement are you thinking? What about putting the rad out front in the 'correct' location and piping back to it? It would get full frontal flow as well as distance loss along the pipes. I'd think some SS exhaust pipe would work well for that. You could air gap it if you needed to keep heat away from other areas.

348tripower

Quote from: "Danimal"For engine cooling, maybe a few underbody ducts to direct some of the air towards the engine. Of course, then you may end up with H2O to deal with. Are you thinking electric fans? What radiator placement are you thinking? What about putting the rad out front in the 'correct' location and piping back to it? It would get full frontal flow as well as distance loss along the pipes. I'd think some SS exhaust pipe would work well for that. You could air gap it if you needed to keep heat away from other areas.

To Jaybee an Danimal.
 The radiator will be out front. I was just wondering if I needed air to the engine.
Moose, mostly the cooling issues, but lets add in the air intake. I guess I just don't want to screw up the look later.
Don Colliau

enjenjo

You can make an air dam under the truck that will direct air to the engine for cooling the air around the engine. Pick up air under the bumper, and direct it up over the engine.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i know that most of my ideas are ignored and many stupid..

but... when you said about the radiator up front and the engine mid ship...

i thought about the toyota previa van remote cooling fan, accessory drive unit  that is mounted up in front of the vans nose... driven by a drive shaft off the front of the slant four... slant as in laying on its side under the floor boards of the van... mid ship..

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/08/a0/67//large/0900c1528008a067.gif

the upper half of this may be a better image of what it is..

http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/08/a0/4e//large/0900c1528008a04e.gif

edit.. seems some of them are even supercharged...
http://econtent.autozone.com:24991/znetrgs/repair_guide_content/en_us/images//0900c152/80/08/a1/2f//large/0900c1528008a12f.gif

again... just another idea.... from the king of charmin usage

phat rat

The plan on the one I started was to have the radiator in front as you're doing. For air intake I had planned on a home-built breather with 2 outlets, connected to flexible metal dryer hose. These would have run to the back of the grille.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"You can make an air dam under the truck that will direct air to the engine for cooling the air around the engine. Pick up air under the bumper, and direct it up over the engine.

Can't hang too low or I will be clearing the streets fo all the road kill! :lol:
Don Colliau