1949-51 Ford chassis question

Started by ArizonaBear, September 01, 2008, 08:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaBear

I have a copy of 'Building the Shoebox Ford 1949-54' and it mentions that swapping in a Ford 302 into a 1949-51 Ford can be quite an 'experience'.

Such being the case: does anybody have any ideas on either a later model frame swap or at least a front stub so I can have disc brakes, PS as well as a 'drop out' transmission crossmember?

enjenjo

I've done a couple, and it really isn't a hard job. With careful engine placement, and a Van oil pan and pickup, a 302 will slide right in with a C4 trans. ECI among other have disc brakes, and I have seen Volvo PS boxes installed in them.

If you want to go the clip route, A metric GM clip will fit nice, and give you all the things you are looking for. You can use Super Spindle  Rotors if you want Ford bolt pattern.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

Fatman has a clip with a Mustang II suspension.  I watched one of their clips go into a very similar 50 Mercury chassis.  A very nice, abet expensive, solution.  I have also seen Fatman clips in a 46 Hudson PU and a 46 Buick.  All three were dead on dimensionally.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks