1941 Chevy Coupe - Questions

Started by houston54, September 05, 2008, 11:25:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

I am going to inspect a 41 coupe this evening.  It is an original car with a straight body supposedly.

Has anyone here built one of these before?  Any particular issues I should look for or just the normal stuff?  

What is the preferred front and rear suspension upgrades for this model?  Subframe (front or rear steer), IFS or upgrade original?

Beck

Quote from: "houston54"
What is the preferred front and rear suspension upgrades for this model?  Subframe (front or rear steer), IFS or upgrade original?
The subframe was the accepted method of adding late model suspension to this era Chevy. (I did a 47 coupe with a sub and it turned out well.) It still works but seems to be a little less accepted. The MII is my vote. Complete hub to hub kits are available. It costs more than a subframe, but the car always sits right after the insallation. I have seen subframe swaps that the car just didn't sit well. Some had the front tires rubbing the outside of the front fenders. Some with the wheels not centered in the opening. I think the MII is just more of a sure thing.

houston54

I have a Fatman IFS I was going to put in my 58 truck but will see if I can use it in the 41 with a model specific crossmember.

Another Question

Where is the VIN located on a 1941 Chevrolet Coupe?

Is it the engine number?  If so where on the block is that located.

The owner will need to file for a lost title unless he happens to find it.

the yeti

oo oo I can answer this  :lol:

the chassis number is located on the out side LH rail about 18" back form the front axel line (pretty much just below the front of the cowl) it always gets covered in crap

Grandadeo

Have to go in the way back machine to try and remember what I did to my '41 cdan back in the mid '70s.  I used '53-'54 Chevy front spindles and hubs which gave me a wapping 1" drop and a 5 lug bolt pattern on the front.  Think I cut the coils for some more drop.  Used a '68ish Chevy 12 bolt rear end with lowering blocks.  Swapped the rear springs end for end with new bushings to center the rear end in the wheel well. I think.  Put in a 350/350.  The big ticket item on a '41 is the grill surround pot metal chrome trim pieces.  Hard to find and expensive.  Unless someone is repoping them by now.  Had Chrysler Cordoba round headlight rings and parking lights.  Dual frenched '59 Caddy tails lights, recessed the license plant in the deck lid, and punched the hood, upper front fender vertical surfaces and the deck lid with 144 louvers.  Oh yeah, chopped the top 3''.  Drove it to the '75? Memphis Nats on its maiden voyage.  Never painted it, just drove it in primer for a few years before I sold it in '83  for $1,800.  Wonder where it is now.

Sorry to take you down memory lane.  I'm sure there are all kinds of suspension setups out there for the '41 to '48 Chevy now.  Back then it was pretty much what you found in the junk yard.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

enjenjo

Chassis is the same 41 to 48. Mustang II is an easy fit. Posie's makes a nice rear spring that fits the stock hangers. I make a rear shock bracket that fits in the stock holes on the frame. I also make a bolt in Kmember that fits T350, T400, T200R4, or T700R4. I also have a bracket thet uses the stock brake pedal, in the stock location, and uses a Mustang Booster and master cylinder.

The Vin number is on the right cowl door frame, on a tag that screws to the door frame, about 4" above the lower hinge. The engine number is on a pad near the base of the distributor. The engine number, and the VIN number are not usually the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Danimal

I've seen the setup that Enjenjo is talking about. Just last weekend as a matter of fact. They have done a great job on the '48 they are working on with a full MII and the trans K member is the bomb. I'm thinking about doing this for ours because I have one K rotted on one leg and one rotted on another in the 2 frames I've got. It just looks like a better way to go.

tonto1

I had a 41 a few years ago that I changed from stock.
MII front end, 350 SBC, 700 R4, 88 Caprice rear axle.
I was happy with most of it except the way it rode. It never seemed that the MII had enough spring travel. I had a friend with a 41 that was sub framed, I think, with a Camaro front end and it rode much better. I would post pictures, but I can't figure out how to make them fit within the 640X500 frame.
Why are there more horses a**es in the world than there are horses?

tomslik

Quote from: "tonto1"I had a 41 a few years ago that I changed from stock.
MII front end, 350 SBC, 700 R4, 88 Caprice rear axle.
I was happy with most of it except the way it rode. It never seemed that the MII had enough spring travel. I had a friend with a 41 that was sub framed, I think, with a Camaro front end and it rode much better. I would post pictures, but I can't figure out how to make them fit within the 640X500 frame.

i'm with you.
i had a 69 camaro sub under mine until i found anther frame and, well, MII's were the hot setup.
the sub drove better,rode better, didn't fit for poop, MII's LOOK better and sheet metal fits without a big hassle.
it'll stay MII but if i had to build another one for myself, i'm thinking G body...

vin is screwed on the pass door front piller...

hey, bought a 348 for it yesterday:)
i'm thinkin' 5 speed behind it and adapt a throttle body or 2 to it..
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

I would agree with the Mustang II ride comments.. the ride in my Dodge Lancer with Mustang II is not to swell.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

houston54

Well the 41 turned out to be less than advertised.  The main frame rails were good but the cross members had filled with dirt and rotted from the inside out.  The car was complete with all stainless and trim which was impressive but every piece of it would have needed refurbishment.  This was a Special Deluxe Coupe.

For those who may need the information in the future the VIN tag is located on the passenger side floorboard just in front of the seat.  Right where the floor rots away.  I found the remains of the tag but the VIN was illegible and with a "lost" title it would be a real PITA to get clear papers.

I passed as it would have been as big or bigger a resurrection than the 54 was.  

The car is really massive.  I think the 39 and older body styles fit my need better.

dragrcr50

i have done both and prefer the straight axle, big horsepower  .... make a cool gasser   .....................
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

38HAULR

Series 1,11,111 Jaguar [1970,s-early80,s] IFS front and rear  Go well under these like they were made for them.........Frank.

38HAULR

As a follow up to my prev post,have a look under "members rides".  Yeti,s 37 Chev from Australia.   You can see the Jag  IRS nestling at home ,the front end is not so clearly visible,but a shot of the front clip shows the mounts for the Jag outriggers visible........Frank.