Chevy 265/283 W/T5

Started by Bib_Overalls, September 01, 2008, 11:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

I'm thinking about using a 55 to 57 SBC with a T5 in my next project. I'd be using a Hurst style "saddle" mount with Ford style pads in front and the T5 mount in back.

The only concern I have is strength at the bell housing. It may be an old wife's tale, but I heard some where and long ago that Chevy went to the side mounts when they eliminated the transmission bell housing mounts in 58. Supposedly because automatic transmission bell housings failed with the long span between the front mounts and transmission mount. I have also been told they went to side mounts to restore stability when the bell housing mounts were eliminated. I do know that old Ford top loaders were used with Hurst mounts without any trouble and I have never heard a first or even second hand account of a bell housing failing this way.

So my question is simply this; Can I use a T5 with an early SBC and a Hurst style front mount with confidence? I think I probably worry too much.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Carnut

Dunno, but I've put about 10yrs and about 20k on my 40 Ford with a front hurst mount and a rear trans mount.

I've never heard of a chev bellhousing breaking due to that particular motor mounting setup.

Pretty sure chev engineers went from the 4 location mounts to the 3 way motor mounts for several reasons other than bellhousing strain. The 3 way actually puts strain on the bellhousing that wasn't there with the 4 way mounts.

The front hurst mount does lengthen the distance between front and rear mount but really don't think it adds all that much strain to the bellhousing.

Those old bellhousing mounts were a real headache when folks started putting expensive 4spd trans behind those bellhousings, it was really quite easy to slide under one and remove the trans with just a few bolts and be gone. Quite a few stories of guys getting into their tri5 and finding a hole in the floor with no shifter.

Carnut

Oh yeah, just remembered think Corvettes from 58 to 62 essentially ran a 3 way mount setup similar to the Hurst engine mount from the factory. The Corvette mount ran across the front of the engine over the water pump and mounted on the sides.