tires (pronounced tars where I come from)

Started by papastoyss, August 26, 2008, 08:23:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papastoyss

A friend has a rod with 285/70/15 rear tires. He is concerned about these tires aging as they are 10 yrs old, this car hasn't been driven much so the tread is still good.He hasn't been able to find that tire size to maintain the look he likes ,what are his options?
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

houston54

I could not find that tire size available from any of the normal outlets.  You might try looking at Coker Tire though.

The widest tire I could find in a 15 inch is a 265/70.  Seems to be a pretty common size.  The width difference would be about a .25 inch and the height may be different but it would not change the way the vehicle sits very dramatically.  

Hope he finds a solution to his problem.

Grandadeo

I'm guessing your friend is looking for a black wall tar.  I change from 235/75/15s to I believe 255/75/15 wide white Diamondbacks on the rear of my '32 hiboy roadster.  They're about 2" taller right at 31 " and look a whole lot better but are still relatively narrow which is what I wanted.  

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

rumrumm

It is my understanding that BFG stopped making that size. Most of the street rods I have seen with this size tire (including mine) are made by BFG. You might check with a distributor to see if they can locate any in their warehouses.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

papastoyss

Quote from: "rumrumm"It is my understanding that BFG stopped making that size. Most of the street rods I have seen with this size tire (including mine) are made by BFG. You might check with a distributor to see if they can locate any in their warehouses.
Yeah, I tried Tire Rack & Discount Tire before asking my RRT friends.

purplepickup

Sam's club has 275/60R15's in BFG T/A radials, BFG G-Force Drag radial, and they show a Goodyear Eagle GT-2 in that size but it's out of stock right now.  The others show in stock.  That's a pretty good sized tire.  I've run 3 sets of the T/A's on my truck and like them a lot.

You have to go to Sam's website and order them but they ship to the store at no charge and they do a good job of mounting and balancing them...at least at our store.
George

Flipper

I am pretty sure it is the same size as a 31x10.50x15

papastoyss

Quote from: "Flipper"I am pretty sure it is the same size as a 31x10.50x15
Hey, was that your truck at the Frog Follies? It's cool!

C9

Good tip Purple, thanks.

We have a Sam's down the hill at Bullhead City - across the river from Laughlin, Nevada.
The tire shop does good and careful work as well.

Walmart?
So far a couple of local stores have stripped out two pan plugs on two fairly new cars when I gave em a try on an oil change cuz I was out of time etc.

Refused to take some drain oil, threw the container into the brand new pickup, container broke, Sweetie didn't know it, drove on the freeway and I ended up cleaning up an oiled down truck.

Had a couple of tires removed from a pair of hard to find mags, guy put the wheel in the tire machine upside down and each one of the mags has three chunks of aluminum pulled up in the polished face area.
No wonder he was so nice to carry them out and put them in the truck for me.

So far, the score is:
Walmart - 4
C9 - zero....
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

dave boley

Quote from: "C9"Walmart?
So far a couple of local stores have stripped out two pan plugs on two fairly new cars when I gave em a try on an oil change cuz I was out of time etc.

Refused to take some drain oil, threw the container into the brand new pickup, container broke, Sweetie didn't know it, drove on the freeway and I ended up cleaning up an oiled down truck.

Had a couple of tires removed from a pair of hard to find mags, guy put the wheel in the tire machine upside down and each one of the mags has three chunks of aluminum pulled up in the polished face area.
No wonder he was so nice to carry them out and put them in the truck for me.
n
So far, the score is:
Walmart - 4
C9 - zero....

You are not the first complaint I've heared about Wal Mart.  They should name their shop crew the destroyers.

So far as I'm concerned, other than the quality of the tires and the prices, Sam's is just one rung up the ladder from Wally World.  I had over $1,200.00 worth of Michelin tires put on my F-350 dually this spring.  They couldn't get the back duals off.  I took it to a mom and pop shop and they did in less than 20 minutes.  Then I took it back to Sam's for the rest of the tires.  I finally wrestled a $50.00 gift card out of them for my troubles.  That didn't really cover my lost time but something is better than nothing.  The only reason I even considered going there is their no queations asked, nationwide guarantee against any kind of damage that destroys the tire.  Eleven bucks and you get a new one.  I transport classic and custom cars all over the country and I was about to deliver a small plane to Phoenix, AZ.  I figure there is always a Sam's nearby.
It ain\'t easy bein\' different, but I still like it...

http://www.daveboley.info
http://www.pvpmedia.com/53f100.htm

Flipper

Quote from: "papastoyss"

Yep, I was there....first show.  Were you there?

papastoyss

Quote from: "Flipper"
Quote from: "papastoyss"

Yep, I was there....first show.  Were you there?
Oh yeah, Frog Follies are on the don't miss list.Been every year for about 20 yrs. I have a blue over cream 47 Ford coupe. Have they already had the car show in Franklin,Ky? We used to go when it was on the town square, lost interest when it moved.

Crosley.In.AZ

I  imagine Walmart has poor employees at various stores.

Our son had tires problems in TexRkana TX a few months back.. They bought a tire for the minivan at Wally world and headed towards Austin TX.

They got into Dallas and the new tire was near flat with a nail in the sidewall.  The local Walmart store sent a guy out to the restaurant with an air tank to air the tire up (spare tire was junk still) and get the van to the store.  Another new tire installed for N/C and the kids made it to Austin.

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)