700 R4 transmission problems

Started by Drock90, August 24, 2008, 12:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drock90

i had a 700 r4 lock up. it completely went out fried. useless.  :shock:  ive been looking on ebay and found a 700 r4. are all of them lock ups? im puzzled! nobody can tell me if they have lockup systems or not. do they all come with it or are t hey different

wayne petty

until you get the trans experts on here...

all 700r4s that i know of have torque converter clutch circuits..

locked up... as in dropping it in drive and the engine stalls ...???????? or put it in gear and nothing happens...   or a ton of slippage..

maybe putting it in gear and the engine stalling is not quite right...  putting it in gear and the engine slams to a dead stop... that is if your foot is on the brake...

the torque converter clutch solenoids will sometimes get stuck or get dirt in them and keep the torque converter locked up all the time,

this makes them really hard to drive...   this usually happens on the 125c and the 440r4 transmissions...  but i have seen one or two 700's do this...

i do believe that converters can be built without the lockup...  and the trans slightly modified to work without it...

Crosley.In.AZ

Drock90 .. welcome to Rodding Round table

The 700 trans were all released from GM with torque converter clutches for lock up operation.

Some companies modify these trans for non lock up operation.  

You must have a matching trans and torque converter to use... either lock up or non lock up.

I also edited your thread title.. there is no need to use HELP!!!!! in the title.  Great folks here will answer all questions.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)