Lower A Arm angle

Started by 348tripower, August 25, 2008, 06:55:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Ok gang,
 I am setting up the ride height on the COE. What I have found is that when the engine is not set over the wheels, the A arm angle is steeper. What would be a acceptable angle for the lower arms?  I can cut a coil, heat a coil or whatever. I can only go up with the cab about an inch to a inch and a half at this point. I still need tire to fender clearance. Help me out with this one.
Thanks,
Don
Don Colliau

phat rat

I've always been told parallel to the ground. During the build consider taking them out and replacing the shock with threaded rod. Then get them measured for weight capacity per inch of compression. When the trucks about done then you can measure for the ride height desired and have springs made for the height you want.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

phat46

Quote from: "348tripower"Ok gang,
 I am setting up the ride height on the COE. What I have found is that when the engine is not set over the wheels, the A arm angle is steeper. What would be a acceptable angle for the lower arms?  I can cut a coil, heat a coil or whatever. I can only go up with the cab about an inch to a inch and a half at this point. I still need tire to fender clearance. Help me out with this one.
Thanks,
Don

I have always understood that the lower A arm should be parrellel to the ground; I'm sure that's what you're trying to achieve. I wonder if there's a lighter spring for that application, or maybe a lowering spring.  You are using a Chevy 1500 chassis if i remember right, it seems to me that there must be a spring to lower those trucks.....or maybe a "softer" spring from a car would fit.

348tripower

Quote from: "phat rat"I've always been told parallel to the ground. During the build consider taking them out and replacing the shock with threaded rod. Then get them measured for weight capacity per inch of compression. When the trucks about done then you can measure for the ride height desired and have springs made for the height you want.

That is what I heard too. But I set my F1 up with the threaded rod and parallel to the ground. When I got done I had a higher ride than it was set up for.  It didn't hurt  the handling or the driveability. I looked under my 93 Gmc 1/2 ton and the a arms are not parallel with the ground on it either?
Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

The parallel with the ground bit is Mustang II only. Chevy trucks will not be parallel with the ground. I measure from the chassis to the ground on a stocker, and use that to set up the chassis on a rod. If you want it lower, ther are dropped spindles, and short springs available.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "enjenjo"The parallel with the ground bit is Mustang II only. Chevy trucks will not be parallel with the ground. I measure from the chassis to the ground on a stocker, and use that to set up the chassis on a rod. If you want it lower, ther are dropped spindles, and short springs available.

Frank,
 That is exactly what I had in mind. I just needed someone to confirm that I am not NUTS!!!! :lol:
Thanks!
We will be in Kazoo. I will probably try and get next to you. I will have the teardrop and friends, but as always, I am sure we will all be welcome.
Don Colliau

river1

Quote from: "348tripower"I just needed someone to confirm that I am not NUTS!!!! :lol:
Thanks!

i think if you were to ask, popular opinion would be just the opposite

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

348tripower

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "348tripower"I just needed someone to confirm that I am not NUTS!!!! :lol:
Thanks!

i think if you were to ask, popular opinion would be just the opposite

later jim

YA GOT ME!!!!!!!!
Don Colliau