drilling a beam axle

Started by moose, August 19, 2008, 11:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

What is the prefered weapon to make holes in a beam axle? Drill bits or hole saw?

Tim

wayne petty

it would depend what size holes you are thinking about making???

they do sell carbide tipped hole saws..  designed for drilling in tough stuff...

i am also wondering if you are going to blend the hole edges to reduce stress points...

i am not old enough to know if this has been done before... but has anybody ever put aerodymamics on the front and rear of the exposed beam axles...

moose

Quote from: "wayne petty"it would depend what size holes you are thinking about making???

Probably looking at 7/8 or 1 inch

they do sell carbide tipped hole saws..  designed for drilling in tough stuff...

i am also wondering if you are going to blend the hole edges to reduce stress points...

i am not old enough to know if this has been done before... but has anybody ever put aerodymamics on the front and rear of the exposed beam axles...

At the least I will smooth the edges....

Tim

Bib_Overalls

I used a hole saw to drill mine.  Friend has a gear driven drill press and we slowed it down to about 40 RPM.  Used lots of his "special" cutting oil (50% ATF and 50% WD40.  I have read posts on the HAMB were people used hole saws and got about two or three cuts before the saw went flat.  The saw I used is strill as sharp as when I started. Slow is the secret.  But it is hard to find a conventional drill press that goes below 250 RPM.  I drilled 1/4" holes on m,y layout and replaced the drill bit in the hole saw with a short length of drill rod.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

If you have access to a mill, you might consider a Rotabroach. They make very nice holes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

I would probably use hole saws.
Definitely need low rpm and coolant.

Hole saws are less money,and require less HP.
Of course,if you already had the big expensive twist drills ...

kb426

I put mine in the mill and used drill bits. I started with a 3/8" pilot and went up in steps to 1".I used a die grinder and emery paper to smooth the insides when I was finished. This was on a forged axle.
TEAM SMART

C9

Quote from: Bib_OverallsUsed lots of his "special" cutting oil (50% ATF and 50% WD40.  quote]

I've been having good luck with WD-40 on aluminum for both drilling and machining although most times I machine aluminum dry.

Just curious if your pal uses the mixture on a lathe?

I have a gallon of WD-40 and a few odd quarts of ATF.
It's taking a long time to use the W-40 up.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: C9
Quote from: Bib_OverallsUsed lots of his "special" cutting oil (50% ATF and 50% WD40.  quote]

Just curious if your pal uses the mixture on a lathe?

Jay,

He mixes it up in a one quart plastic spray bottle and uses it on the mill, lathe, and drill press.  Steel, aluminum, whatever. A little messy in the chip tray.  But it does not hurt anything and cleans up with a rag.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks