Trailer Tires

Started by C9, August 16, 2008, 06:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

Thinking of getting a set of 205/75-15 trailer tires in a couple of months.

I hear good and bad about the Goodyear Marathon radial.

Same with Kelly and Cooper bias plies.

Trailer is a Haulmark 20' (20' 6" inside floor length, about 24' overall) that weighs 3000# empty.
Gross is 7000#.
Roadster weighs 2300# and there's perhaps another 500# of 'stuff.'

So gross is generally under 6000#.

C range tires are rated 1820# each and total load rating is 7280#.

I've thought of going up to the D rated tire which is rated 2540 lbs, but max pressure on it is 65#.

The C rated tire is 50#.

And . . . the 15" steel trailer wheels have a tag on them that says they're limited to 50#.

I don't care to spring for another set of wheels.

What I would like to know is what experiences some of you have had as far as the radials vs bias goes.

And perhaps a brand recommendation.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Deuce

I run the Goodyear Marathons on my trailer.

I had them on my last trailer ( 22 foot box nose Pace Shadow ) with the 3500 LB axles. I pulled it for 12 years with no Marathon tire issues. From South Carolina to the West Coast ... a couple times in that period.

I also have them  on my new 20 foot V-nose 20 foot " Limited " Pace.

The set on my 22 foot Pace went a lot of miles. They finally were old and starting to dry rot after 7 or 8 years ... so I replaced them with a set of new Marathons. When I ordered the new Pace V-nose ... I specially requested the Goodyear Marathons on it.

I like them. I read where Goodyear had a bad batch of Marathons a few years ago. I cannot verify it ... but my tire guy told it to me. I did go to the 5200 LB axles on my new trailer ... and the aluminum rims. :D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

enjenjo

On my open trailer, I run used tires, blow one now and then. :shock:  But I have a buddy that has a lawn service, his trailer is heavy, in the 10,000 lb range. He is using the Marathon tires with no problems. He is using the load range C tires.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

Thanks guys.

Marathons are - I think - easy to get around here.

Deuce, did the V-nose help gas mileage any?

My 2002 F150 Ford SuperCrew with 5.4 liter, trailer tow package etc. gets 17 and 18 mpg running the fast desert highways (75-80mph) with two passengers and two suitcases.
Toss the loaded trailer on and it drops to a steady 10 mpg.
A/C on in both instances.

My pal's 2003 Dodge Hemi 4-door 1500 pickup - a lot like my pickup - gets about the same mileage.
Few days back he bought a 4-door 4x4 2500 pickup with diesel and all the bells and whistles.
It'll be interesting to see the mileage he gets with it.
C9

Deuce

Quote from: "C9"

My 2002 F150 Ford SuperCrew with 5.4 liter, trailer tow package etc. gets 17 and 18 mpg running the fast desert highways (75-80mph) with two passengers and two suitcases.

My 2004 Silverado with the 5.3 and the factory tow package gets 21 to 22 @ 70 MPH/75 MPH unloaded. With the 22 foot box nose ... the mileage fell to 11 MPG  :oops:  Same rig with the V-nose gets almost 13 MPG. The box nose was rated @ 2 foot longer but not really. With the V-nose on the 20 footer ... they are within 6 inches of each other. I believe the 20 foot actually weighs more. It has the larger axles and the optional heavy duty rear door. It also has a spare tire compartment with a floor jack and a big 4-way lug wrench. I have a small Honda generator in it also.

So YES ...  :D
The mileage did increase. It  is also a lot less sensitive to the big tractor trailer trucks passing it @ speed.

C9

Quote from: "Deuce"

My 2004 Silverado with the 5.3 and the factory tow package gets 21 to 22 @ 70 MPH/75 MPH unloaded. With the 22 foot box nose ... the mileage fell to 11 MPG  :oops:  Same rig with the V-nose gets almost 13 MPG. The box nose was rated @ 2 foot longer but not really. With the V-nose on the 20 footer ... they are within 6 inches of each other. I believe the 20 foot actually weighs more. It has the larger axles and the optional heavy duty rear door. It also has a spare tire compartment with a floor jack and a big 4-way lug wrench. I have a small Honda generator in it also.

So YES ...  :D
The mileage did increase. It  is also a lot less sensitive to the big tractor trailer trucks passing it @ speed.

Your truck unloaded is doing good mpg-wise

I found that an adjustable friction sway bar helped in the sway dept where the big trucks are concerned.
Their bow wave does push you over a bit . . . right after it sucks you toward the truck.
Just gotta pay attention.

I note that some are running dual adjustable friction sway bars.

I found a friction bar at a yuppie garage sale for $5. sans the mounting balls.
Might give that a try later on.

I do drive with a reasonably light foot, but to an extent it's about aerodynamics.
I did get 18 mpg on a recent trip to Las Vegas, but I was staying around 65-68 mpg.
Five passengers was the total load.

Interesting how much better you do with the V-nose.
Makes sense though.

I have thought of one of the upside down aluminum wings that help direct air off the truck up and over the trailer.

Another one of those somewhere in the distance projects . . . sigh....
C9

Deuce

I found that an adjustable friction sway bar helped in the sway dept where the big trucks are concerned.

I have two of the adjustable sway control arms on my trailer set up. Had them on the other one also. Helps a LOT. My Silverado is a short cab, short wheelbase pickup ... so it is a little more prone to sway than a longer wheelbase pickup. I pulled my old 22 foot box nose with a friends F-250 series 4 door with  no ' air ' effects from the large trucks. My Silverado was in the body shop for some  repairs after the crash just outside of Memphis.

I had a fellow run me off the Interstate ... I scaped the guard rail, turned the truck and trailer 180 degrees around to backwards and slide off into the median ... see the skid marks ...

The Goodyears were almost new ... ( 3 months old and about 1,000 miles ). The Goodyears had nothing to do with the wreck. It was in * in a white Cadillac SUV who clipped  me ... causing the wreck. Passenger side of the truck was way worse than the drivers side.

IC2

Oh well for a first post - might as well talk with some "familiar voices" in the web world

I had Generals on my 7000# camper - two blew the sidewalls out sitting in my driveway at 4 years old so have put the Aussie made Goodyear Marathons on it against my better judgment as I, in general, will not use Goodyears after some p. poor luck on a couple of pickups and a T-Bird. So far they look great with no side wall checking and are showing very little wear but I do use some stuff called "303 protectant" after seeing the reports about what the Armor All kinds of petroleum based prettier up crap will do to tires.

I added an anti sway device last year - and it really does help quite a bit. The weight of the camper and the recommendation is that I use two, but the single does well with my much heavier suspended F350  then it did with the light duty F150

Dave W

phat rat

Quote from: "Deuce"

I have two of the adjustable sway control arms on my trailer set up. Had them on the other one also. Helps a LOT. My Silverado is a short cab, short wheelbase pickup ... so it is a little more prone to sway than a longer wheelbase pickup. I pulled my old 22 foot box nose with a friends F-250 series 4 door with  no ' air ' effects from the large trucks. My Silverado was in the body shop for some  repairs after the crash just outside of Memphis.

I had a fellow run me off the Interstate ... I scaped the guard rail, turned the truck and trailer 180 degrees around to backwards and slide off into the median ... see the skid marks ...

The Goodyears were almost new ... ( 3 months old and about 1,000 miles ). The Goodyears had nothing to do with the wreck. It was in * in a white Cadillac SUV who clipped  me ... causing the wreck. Passenger side of the truck was way worse than the drivers side.

Short light weight 1/2T truck + long trailer. The tail was just waiting to wag the dog
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.