R12 A/C conversion question

Started by jaybee, June 13, 2004, 02:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

My son's car is a '91 Chevy Lumina with R12-charged air conditioning.  Think it's low on Freon, although I haven't had a chance yet to put the guages on it.  What needs to be done to convert this system over to a refrigerant that's currently available, can I do it myself, and what sort of cost am I looking at?
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

phat46

Quote from: "jaybee"My son's car is a '91 Chevy Lumina with R12-charged air conditioning.  Think it's low on Freon, although I haven't had a chance yet to put the guages on it.  What needs to be done to convert this system over to a refrigerant that's currently available, can I do it myself, and what sort of cost am I looking at?

I did my daughters Topaz a couple years ago with one of the Walmart/K Mart Etc. kits. It was very easy, everything you need is there. It's about $25. My other daughters boyfriends father owns a car shop that specializes in AC. When she had problems she took it to boyfriends dad and he just put in a conversion kit too. The hardest part of me doing the Topaz conversion was the location of the port to make the refridgerant connection to. if that had been in a good place it would have only taken about a half hour.