Moly lube on engine assembly

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, August 09, 2008, 08:18:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Is the use of moly the ticket still for assembly of an engine valve train?

I am talking on the push rods , rocker arms type of stuff so there is no dry start up...

I do spin up the oil pump for a minute or two to prime the oil system.

:?:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

wayne petty

yes... i use it also for the rod and main bearings..    cam and lifters...

the clear stuff slowly drips out...  the moly-graphite assembly lube stays there for months...

oh... and for others... there is a slightly different torque for moly-graphite lubed rod, main and head bolts and studs...

say how many of you saw the oil pump mods over at gofastnews.. that reduce the torque pulses as the pump gears come into hydraulic lock as they come together and there is no place for the oil to go????/just a thought...

chimp koose

Wayne ,I saw that article and a few others that are great reads. Look up the article where they dyno test a 355 motor with a 1250 cfm carb . Results are not what one would think!

Topsterguy

A friend of mine who builds quality engines used a moly lube on his engine  putting it together and had some problems with it because it didn't emulsify properly. He told the company about it and they reimbursed him $$$, but I asked him and he can't remember the name right now. Pays to check tho.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

enjenjo

I use Moly on the cam and lifters, but I use Lubriplate assembly lube on all the bearings. Long story.

Many years ago, I started using Lubriplate assembly lube  on diesels, it was recommended by Detroit Diesel. So when building race motors, I used it there too. We has assembled and installed a 433 cube big block Chevy in a drag car. Fired it up, no oil pressure. It ran for at least a couple minutes before we shut it down. Checked, and no one had put oil in it. :shock: Pulled it back out, tore it down, and found no damage what so ever. :shock:  assembled and installed with new gaskets, and oil, ran for the whole season with no problems. That sold me on Lubriplate.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.