Build planning stages.

Started by Husker, July 31, 2008, 11:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Husker

I have a cowl and rear section of a 31 Chevy 2 door sedan I am going to do something with this winter. I plan to build an open car to put around town in that is all GM.

I will build the frame from rectangular tubing and think a 4 bar will end up on the back. What I am struggling with is the front suspension. I want the car to be all GM but all the decent front suspension stuff is Ford based. Any ideas on what may work would be appreciated.

chris spokes

8) this front end works for me

click to enlarge
he who has the most toys wins

enjenjo

Ok, If you want a cross spring, it has to be Ford, or aftermarket Ford.

All Chevys and other GM cars of the era used parallel leafs in the front, which is not a bad deal, other than the springs you don't need any thing else to control the axle. If you use a 29 or later Chevy axle, you can adapt 49 to 54 Chevy car, or 53 to 62 Corvette spindles with very little work, and there are several disc brake kits for those spindles. You can cross steer it with a Vega box, or side steer it with a reversed Corvair, or Vega box. Simple enough, and all GM.

MAS makes a dropped tube axle that can be set up with two springs, and uses the same Chevy spindles as above.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Husker

Thanks a bunch!

Maybe I should go opposite on this, Ford suspension and drivetrain in a Chevy. That would get a few comments lol.

Husker

I look at their web site and that is not a bad way to go. $369 for the dual spring suspension with the drop I am thinking.

What is the best chassis building book out there folks?