LS1 conversion?

Started by jimcaf, June 26, 2008, 12:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimcaf

Has anyone done one before? I havnt,,iv done a half dozen Ford EFI swaps,,I have a customer that wants me to put one in his 57 chevy pickup(my old driver),,its got a mid seventies camaro subframe in it shoudnt be a problem?
Id usually pass on this but business is slow and im taking anything i can get,,

Also he is curious how much$,,,I told him I estimate give or take a few bucks 2K labor to install it,2k in parts to install the  cost for the engine and trans is about 3k so its looking like about 7k for the conversion total,,,Im i in the ball park at that? thanks jim

Jbird

One of my buddies did the same swap in his 58 Cameo. It had a Camaro clip already in it so the swap was pretty straightforward except he had to build his own engine mounts. I believe the adapter mounts are available now. He gets 27mpg and just left for a show in Oregon.  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

jaybee

LOTS of information on swaps over at www.LS1tech.com .  One caution, use the search function and read the stickies, they're pretty intolerant of people asking questions that have already been answered.  And PLEASE share your progress with us as you proceed!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

jimcaf

funny how bent out of shape some get on the boards when the same stuff gets asked over :),,,well since im a Ford enthusiast  maybe il start out over there with a couple like that,,,
thanks for the response,,I should pretty deep into it in the next week or 2,,,il keep posted how its turning out ,,,jim

DRD57

I've done a couple of them 69 Camaro & 57 BelAir. Used TCI conversion mounts in one and Art Morrison in the other. Both used normal SBC side mounts with the conversion plates. The Art Morrison plates instructed you to use the SBC mounts upside down. Kinda odd but it worked and they fit a little better than the TCI units.

jaybee

Don, you wouldn't have additional information to share on the BelAire swap, would you?  There seems to be a wealth of information out there on swapping these engines...so much so it gets confusing.  Oil pans, modified and stock, engine mounts, modified, stock, and aftermarket, wiring harnesses and accessory mounts likewise, the list goes on.  Bottom line seems to be that the LSx can go anywhere the SBC can, but it's just a little more complicated.

DRD57

Quote from: "jaybee"Don, you wouldn't have additional information to share on the BelAire swap, would you?  There seems to be a wealth of information out there on swapping these engines...so much so it gets confusing.  Oil pans, modified and stock, engine mounts, modified, stock, and aftermarket, wiring harnesses and accessory mounts likewise, the list goes on.  Bottom line seems to be that the LSx can go anywhere the SBC can, but it's just a little more complicated.

You have to use the rear sump pan like the Corvette's have. The GTO pan is a front sump with a relocated filter that won't work in earlier chassis.

The motor mounts are pretty simple if you use the conversion plates mentioned before. The LS blocks have six lugs on the side of the block. The conversion plates bolt to these lugs and also have bolt holes for the common SBC moounts to bolt to the plates.

Headers are available for the popular body styles like the Camaro and 55-57 Chevies.

Accessory moount should not be a problem if you use what came with the engine. If it is an issue there are aftermarket accessory systems from companies like Zoops. These are slick pieces but pretty spendy. They usually include all the accessories. We were able to use the stock stuff on both of these cars. The good part is that the brackets are all specifically cast parts. There are no sheetmetal brackets or covers on these engines.    

Both cars are still in mock up phase so, the wiring hasn't been sorted out yet.

jimcaf

Thanks for all the info,,,does the LS1 out of the Camaro have the same pan as the vette? or the GTO?,,,thanks jim

DRD57,,were are you in SoCal?,,,Im in North County,,,Valley Center

DRD57

Quote from: "jimcaf"Thanks for all the info,,,does the LS1 out of the Camaro have the same pan as the vette? or the GTO?,,,thanks jim

DRD57,,were are you in SoCal?,,,Im in North County,,,Valley Center

I think the Camaro pan is similar to the Corvette's. The GTO pan is the oddball.

I was in Rancho Cucamonga but, now I'm in Visalia which is up in the Central Valley. The two cars that I've referred to are at Schrader's Speed & Style in Azusa.

jaybee

"The GTO pan is the oddball."  That's cuz the GTO is actually a Holden and thus the pan must be configured to hold oil while the car is driven upside down.  :)

57larry

this guy is going to pay 7 grand? you better take that job! I'd be happy to do it for 1/2 that amount

Dusty

Hey Jimcaf...You have a PM...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

jimcaf

No Updates for a while but here is were I am with the swap,,,sold the old motor and trans ,,finally got the guy to come down from LA to hear test drive it and  we pulled it out it gone as of last friday,I might add i think the owner of this  truck is going to miss the power but not the poor mpg it had a 350 with the Edelbrock RPM top end kit heads,cam,intake,,suppose to be rated over 400HP ,,,ran strong!
The owner tracked down a LS1 and trans all out of a 2001 Camaro with 70K,,he dropped it off yesterday,,for what ever reason the motor was separated from the trans and is missing a handful of parts,flex plate,starter,mass air,alternator,computer a few other miscellaneous!Shop he got it from said they will have everything by tuesday
Not the way i prefer to do it,,Id much rather buy a running wrecked out car and go with it from there,,,Crazy thing the owner called a half a dozon wrecking yards and turns out you have to get on a waiting list to get one of these,,
So im putting together a parts list painless wiring harness,art morrison engine plates,,Im finishing up another job and am going to roll it in Monday and pull off the front sheet metal and get started sprucing things up on the chassis,,
Il post some photos and updates as it evolves,,,thanks again for the tips so far on the install,,,,,jim