Zero Rust??

Started by purplepickup, June 15, 2004, 09:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Has anybody had any experience with Zero Rust?  A guy gave me two quarts of it that are about 4 years old but never been opened.  

I checked their website and it looks like it's just a high pigment sealer type paint that you put over well prepped surfaces.  I'm not sure where you would use it or what kind of finish it is.  Anyone ever use it?
George

enjenjo

It is used like Sandy, as a primer/filler. It actually works pretty good. It will chip easy if it's thick. I would use it on a badly pitted surface so it could be sanded flat, then follow up with DP 40 or similar. It blocks fairly easy.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "purplepickup"Has anybody had any experience with Zero Rust?  A guy gave me two quarts of it that are about 4 years old but never been opened.  

I checked their website and it looks like it's just a high pigment sealer type paint that you put over well prepped surfaces.  I'm not sure where you would use it or what kind of finish it is.  Anyone ever use it?

I have used it many times, my frame is done with it, it adheres to rusted areas that the flakey material has been removed too clean is not good. It is not uv safe, and I have been able to put spary paint over it with out any further prep and it staid on. That is what I did on this 9" if the page shows
http://www.bonusbuilt.com/copper/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=&pos=2

Has held up for the past couple of year with only 3 months on the road. Ed ke6bnl..  This stuff is safe compared to por15 and holds up better and not as hard to wrok with to repaint as is por 15
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

Glen

I painted the interior of my buick with it before upholstery and I also used it to paint the belly and frame of my car.  I used a roller and it layed out nice.

It is supposed to compete with POR-15

purplepickup

Thanks guys.  

I did a little online research today.  On a couple sites it said Zero Rust is more effective if you use a converter like one with phosphoric acid and zinc in it.  Just for the heck of it I did a search for rust conversion on Google to see if I could better understand rust converters.  Holy Cow!  There's as many different opinions as Ford vs Chevy or Bush vs Kerry!  When I found some info that seemed scientifically factual I'd find another site that conflicted with equally convincing scientific data.  Some of the marketing spiels sounded like they came right out of the mouth of a magic elixer carney barker in 1850.

I haven't painted the bottom side of the car trailer yet so I think I'll just use some and see what happens.  Heck, it's free and I don't know what else to use it for.  This trailer will be my rolling test piece.  I painted the axles with POR 15 after wire brushing the rust, and the top and sides with Rust Bullet.  In 30 years I'll report back with my findings...if I can still type. :shock:
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"Thanks guys.  

I did a little online research today.  On a couple sites it said Zero Rust is more effective if you use a converter like one with phosphoric acid and zinc in it.  Just for the heck of it I did a search for rust conversion on Google to see if I could better understand rust converters.  Holy Cow!  There's as many different opinions as Ford vs Chevy or Bush vs Kerry!  When I found some info that seemed scientifically factual I'd find another site that conflicted with equally convincing scientific data.  Some of the marketing spiels sounded like they came right out of the mouth of a magic elixer carney barker in 1850.

I haven't painted the bottom side of the car trailer yet so I think I'll just use some and see what happens.  Heck, it's free and I don't know what else to use it for.  This trailer will be my rolling test piece.  I painted the axles with POR 15 after wire brushing the rust, and the top and sides with Rust Bullet.  In 30 years I'll report back with my findings...if I can still type. :shock:

Hey George you going to hastings sunday ???????????
Dave

Phat

George i have played with both on the plow trucks(worst posable condition sorta like you going to the salt)and zero rust was just a bit better.  But the saftey part is heads and tails over Por15  That stuff (por15)should not be sold to the general public and i see no big gains...I dont care if you use it out doors or with a resperator...you need a fresh air system with Por15. (not many home builders have on,i think you said you did) Wish more guys new how bad that stuff is for you(it never leaves your system). Good friend had some nice chest pains after using Por15 .  It did not do all that well on the top side or the bottom and will not take the sun at all.  Zero rust seemed better.  I dont use either...i go through the whole BS of bustin my butt to self etch prime and seal.......only on my own stuff,customers stuff gets sent out.  Dont breath that Por 15 bud if you want to live. It gets worse each time you use it.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

purplepickup

Quote from: "N8DC"Hey George you going to hastings sunday ???????????

Nope, It's been raining for almost a month straight and I've got to get the fenders for the BBQ trailer glassed and shaped.  The weather is supposed to be decent and I want to do that outdoors so I don't get glass dust all over everything in the shop.  It really makes me itch.  I'm doing the front splash apron for the pickup at the same time.  The truck hasn't been out of the shop all spring.  :?   On nice days I'd rather ride the scoot.

I'm hoping to go out to tomslik's the weekend after to pick up that cab I bought so I'm gonna have to bust butt on stuff this weekend.

Phat, I agree you gotta be careful with iso's in POR....Rust Bullet too.  I do have and use a fresh air outfit with most everything.
George