springs for advance design 50 gmc AND my new 48 ford F1

Started by 50jimmy, June 25, 2008, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

50jimmy

the springs on the old gmc are saggin every which way. The front ones have just about lost all their arch, and the back ones are all crooked as well. the shackles are all pretty much wore out, no bushings left in em.

Has anyone ever changed out the springs front or rear on one of these? I kept the front straight axle and have a later open driveline rear in the back. I seem to remember reading where someone had used dodge caravan springs in the rear with good results.  I want to get rid of that stack of leaf springs in the rear anyway and get its tail down.

In other news, I managed to buy back dad's 48 ford half ton this week, and I am thrilled. It runs and drives, maybe not the greatest. I plan to just fix that which must be fixed for safety and run it the way it is.

1FATGMC

I have camaro rear springs on mine and love them.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/underconstruction/underconstruction2.html

................. I cut the front perches out of the camaro and used them.  I welded the mounts in at the same angle and height from the ground front and rear as the camaro.  I rides very smooth and handles great.  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.  I also run air shocks to level the ride with and without the teardrop hooked up or other loads.

c ya,

Sum

50jimmy

Yes thats kind of what I was thinking of, I was also looking at a spring vendor online that is selling universal 48 inch springs. I havent measured accurately yet. I had also forgotten about air shocks, which is dumb because I just put a set of air bag boosters on my dakota.  Thanks for the idea.

GPster

Quote from: "50jimmy"I was also looking at a spring vendor online that is selling universal 48 inch springs. I havent measured accurately yet.
I would be cautious about any type of univeral 48" long springs. The spring center bolt is usually in the center of that span and that dimension difference is usually not the same from vehicle to vehicle. The archs are different and the weight carrying and there may be the closed drivshaft difference that you would want to recconcile with a rear end change. Plus you might not want to miss a chance to get what ever wheels/tires centered in the fenders at what ever ride height you decide. Why don't you look at the Yellow Pages for a spring rebuilder. Maybe if the leafs are not broken they can be massaged into someting you want. Sumner's truck is exceptional but it was built aroung what he had. He could put the fenders where the wheels were and you may not be ready for that type of experience. GPster