Another road trip...

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, June 20, 2008, 09:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

Today I took a little 140+ mile jaunt with the track roadster to complete delivery of a relay item to the Ionia Hot Rod Shop. Nice morning for the ride over and even nicer coming back in the afternoon. Found a couple miles of excellent "roadster road" and spent some time in 3rd and 4th gears making blatting sounds out of the side pipe.

One of the things I thought might happen did...I got a cramp in my right thigh from the lack of leg room to the throttle. Had to stop on the way over at about 45 miles and work it out and it was okay the rest of the day. It's just one of those things with advanced age (beat ya to it Dave).

So this evening I took the seat and its bucket out and found that I could move it back 1-1/2" with a little adapter kit and a couple new nut-certs in the chassis. Newly painted parts are drying as we speak. I think I can move the throttle spoon forward about another inch - tomorrow morning's work. At the end of the season I think I can stretch the other 2 pedals a bit by Z-ing the near the top. Might make this a cross-country hot rod yet.

If I get a straight pipe maybe the Rolling Bones will let me tour at 100 with them.

Oh yeah, the other thing was that the mileage calculated out at about 25.4 running 60 most of the time. I'm pleased with the potential that indicates.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

phat rat

Hey sounds great. That relay item a grille?  Missed ya on the road. I left for Dorr, driving the cpe, about 7 and was back as far as Spencers shop by noon.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

I was at Denny's yesterday with the TRP.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

phat rat

He told me you were. Carol had her Eldo in getting a  repaint on the frt bumper
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Dave

Charlie im not sayin anything. My back and hip have been a mess for a month now . I get the leg cramp stuff in the roadster too.. I went to doing my back exercises again to try and get the pain outta my back and hip and so far i think its helping. Its really a * when your back is sore and your on the bike.. Glad your getting things sorted out on the roadster I need to start doing that on mine but i dont think im even gonna have time to get it out again this weekend. Looks like were gonna try the races tonite and camp so i gotta get everything ready and ive got oil to change in the kids car  and try to mow if it dries out here.. Oh well ive got the rest of the summer..  :lol: Dave

C9

I'm curious if you have someplace to wedge your throttle foot?

Trans tunnel?

Otherwise you have to hold the throttle pedal steady with your leg muscles and that gets old in a hurry.

Size 10 shoe slid too far up the throttle pedal, but you should be able to see what I'm talking about vis a vis the wedging your foot against the trans tunnel.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

C9

Another couple pics that may help illustrate.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

48ford

Charlie,
I put a cruise control on the 46(think i got it at auto zone)
It lets you move around a bit.
it may help.
Russ

1FATGMC

Quote from: "48ford"Charlie,
I put a cruise control on the 46(think i got it at auto zone)
It lets you move around a bit.
it may help.
Russ

With advance age I can't live without the cruise control in my pickup now.

Charlie I think you are going to have to drive it from my place to the salt.  We can find a driver for your truck,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

That gave me a chuckle Sum. I'm gonna have to find a lot of improvement in that bad boy by then. Could happen but I'm not making any commitment.

Jay - I rest the side of my foot up against the tunnel. I'll post a couple pics tonight. I'm in the process off milling up a spacer to move the spoon about an inch closer to the firewall. The spoon travel is just under an inch to WOT. If the spacer moves it so the spoon interferes with the tunnel I can mill 1/8" off at a time til clearance is maintained. I think what I might need is a rubber horse shoe to seat my heal against.

I finished the bucket move but I want to move the spoon before I try it out.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

You could always have your leg sectioned :roll:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Now, why didn't I think of that? Think Medicare will buy into that?

Charlie

Quote from: "enjenjo"You could always have your leg sectioned :roll:

A Hooligan!

Charlie Chops 1940

I got the driver's seat done and the throttle moved forward some more. Took it out for a short 5-6 mile spin and it is more comfortable - the best it's gonna get probably.

I would move the pass. seat back also but can't. When I built the chassis I offset the engine and trans to the pass. side and had to notch the rocker box where the seat bucket flares out in the front.  Not my problem...I don't ride over there.

I found that moving the spoon assembly so far forward made the bracket on the tunnel want to turn in slightly towards the firewall. The all thread fastened through the spacer and the firewall firmed that up just fine.

I gained almost 3". The right leg placement feels better. I may fab up some sort of heel "holder or maybe try a little anti-skid paper in the foot well as I did just in front of the seat.

Charlie

A Hooligan!