1.5 Watt Solar battery charger from Harbor Freight

Started by rooster, June 12, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I picked one of those Harbor Freight  1.5 watt  Solar 12 volt battery chargers. It was only
11 bucks and change Was wondering if anyone else has tryed it and what kind of results
should I expect?

I keep my old F-150 pickup over at my mom's old house and its been sitting for about a
year and the battery is down and wont start anymore. The riding mower wont start either,
I have to jump start it. I thought this might be a cure! There is no electric at the house.

GPster

If you park the truck out side so the sun will hit the charger then someone will see it, and steal the charger then the battery. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"If you park the truck out side so the sun will hit the charger then someone will see it, and steal the charger then the battery. GPster

The truck is parked outside. Ths solar panel is only 15" long and 7" wide, it will fit on the dash and then plug directly into the cigar lighter.

At this time I have it on the back porch charging the battery out of the coupe ( its been sitting also) Ill try and get a picture later. I go over to the house once a week to cut the grass , my thoughts were that this might be charge to crank the engine in the ford without jump starting it.

MrMopar64

Late model VW's came with those to keep the battery up when the car sits for awhile. My sister got one with her 2006

MM64  8)

BTW... make sure the lighter is not turned off with the key  :wink:
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

GPster

Sorry for the remark! I'd think that it wouldn't bring a dead battery up. Maybe while you're mowing you could leave your vehicle running with the jumper cables attached to the truck and let it bring the battery up that way. Then let the solar charger keep it up. GPster

wayne petty

i have one.....  it only keep a fully charged battery full...

it will not charge a discharged battery...

there is not enough current to move major amount of electrons across the plates... only enough to stop the discharge that happens from sitting...

slow charge batteries....    charge dead ones through a 194 bulb...   or use a ajustable current power supply....   set voltage to 16 volts and 0.25 amps..  that is a quarter of an amp ...  i usually use 18 volts at a quarter amp... and i can bring back really dead units in a few days....  but i have a really good unit.. and i watch the gauges...

on regular battery chargers for dead batterys... that have not sat for long.. (less than 2 days.) i use the 2 amp setting.. more than 2 days dead    use the ajustable unit with settings above..

or put a 194 bulb in line on one side ... and set the battery charger to its lowest amp setting...  like 2 amps or 10 amps...    the bulb acts as a resister to limit current into the battery so it does not cook the cells...

sorry i have gotten off thread again....

wayne...

rooster

Todays results:

Battery volts at start         12.06
Battery volts after charge  12.10 (allday)

I dont have a adjustable voltage charger but I do have a charger that is for 12V/6V and only has the output of 18Watts.  Also have some others, 4 amp, 6 amp & 12V.

wayne petty

battery state of charge after removing the surface charge...

(remove surface charge with the headlights on for one minute)

with a digital volt meter...

12.65 volts = 100% charge
12.45 = 50%
12.25 = 25%

------------------------

cleaning the top of batterys with hot water... a little dish soap and a scrub brush..  then putting silicone sealer around the base of the battery post where it comes through the case... this prevents vapors off the electrolite (sulfuric acid)  from migrating up through the gap... (i think the slosh or driving will force the liquid up through there)  this stops the acid from causing corrosion in the post cable end connection...

when it does... and you are cleaning it... you will notice the post and lead ends get a crispy surface on them.. this is what happens with the acid, oxygen and electricity pass through the connection... turns the surface of post and lead cable end to lead oxide..(a ceramic , non conductor)  

i my self don't use baking soda to clean the tops of batterys.. only the hot water .. if they are greasy a little dish soap..     the baking soda can get through the gap and into the battery ruining the battery...

i do use the baking soda to clean the cable ends...  half an inch in a disposable cup...  hot water... twist the end of the cable and dip and swirl it in the baking soda and hot water..    do this 2 or 3 times .. then clean the contact areas ....

oops... running off in .....   charging off in the wrong direction...

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "MrMopar64"Late model VW's came with those to keep the battery up when the car sits for awhile. My sister got one with her 2006

MM64  8)

BTW... make sure the lighter is not turned off with the key  :wink:

that the one I have the dealer would keep them i believe bought mine on ebay.. used it last couple of weeks on my al boat to keep the trolling motor up to charge put it in a plastic baggy they are not for outside use they have suction cup for the inside of the widow. I believe they are 5watts. 18volts.
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"Sorry for the remark! I'd think that it wouldn't bring a dead battery up. Maybe while you're mowing you could leave your vehicle running with the jumper cables attached to the truck and let it bring the battery up that way. Then let the solar charger keep it up. GPster

I did just that ! and got the old Ford going , also put afew gallons onf fresh gas in it and run the truck for about 3 hours hauling tree limbs and formosa trees that seem to grow everwhere. Im going back today and see if the truck will start on its own.

The riding mower wont start either! The battery is about 2 years old, it reads about 12.5 volts on the meter but when I try to start it the voltage drops quickly to around 10.5. Going to get a new battery for it on the way over to the house today.

GPster

Believe it or not there seems to be more to lawn tractor batteries than I thought. The ones with hydrostatic drive seem to use a battery with increased cranking amps. A girl at Lowes surprised me with this information and of course I needed the one that wasn't on sale. And Craftsman mowers have the terminals in the wrong places so you'll go to Sears and buy your battery. If your tractor has hydrostatic drivethe tranny may be adding a lot of resistance having set for awhile. What does the battery voltage do when you're cracking it to start? GPster

rooster

Quote from: "GPster"Believe it or not there seems to be more to lawn tractor batteries than I thought. The ones with hydrostatic drive seem to use a battery with increased cranking amps. A girl at Lowes surprised me with this information and of course I needed the one that wasn't on sale. And Craftsman mowers have the terminals in the wrong places so you'll go to Sears and buy your battery. If your tractor has hydrostatic drivethe tranny may be adding a lot of resistance having set for awhile. What does the battery voltage do when you're cracking it to start? GPster

I really dont know what the voltage is while cranking.

I put a new barrery in and its working ok now on the mower, the mower is a low end MTD from home depo, I dont like all the safty stuff on! And I dont like not having the option of pull start (sorta traped).

The f-150 is cranking over well and  starting very well, thats the good news! The bad news is , the HF solar charger is melting sitting on top the dash in the sun light. Ill probly just set it in the bed of the truck after I unload it.

I think Sum has one of these small chargers also.

MrMopar64

Quote from: "rooster"The bad news is , the HF solar charger is melting sitting on top the dash in the sun light.

Take it back.... ya got 30 days  :wink:

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Crosley.In.AZ

Careful with the solar charger... some RV guys have reported over charging with solar stuff.  This may not matter with this discussion.

I bought a walmart battery for my Craftsman lawn tractor.  Fit perfect.

I use a Schumacher  battery "tender" on my lawn tractor.  Maintains a constant voltage in the battery , it is NOT a mini charger .. it is  a battery tender device.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)