Insulation & Carpet Adhesive Question

Started by houston54, June 18, 2008, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

I am planning on using the 3M heavy duty adhesive spray to secure the jute insulation to the cab floor and firewall.  I used it on the double sided foil closed foam insulation I installed on the roof, rear panel and inside the doors but am wondering if there is another product that would work better underfoot.  I am also planning on using it for carpet installation.

If there is a better product where can I get it?

rumrumm

Quote from: "houston54"I am planning on using the 3M heavy duty adhesive spray to secure the jute insulation to the cab floor and firewall.  I used it on the double sided foil closed foam insulation I installed on the roof, rear panel and inside the doors but am wondering if there is another product that would work better underfoot.  I am also planning on using it for carpet installation.

That is the same stuff I used for my '32, and it worked fine.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Dave

Quote from: "houston54"I am planning on using the 3M heavy duty adhesive spray to secure the jute insulation to the cab floor and firewall.  I used it on the double sided foil closed foam insulation I installed on the roof, rear panel and inside the doors but am wondering if there is another product that would work better underfoot.  I am also planning on using it for carpet installation.

I dont use anything but the 3m 90 in my rides but SEM makes a spray adhesive that works too.. Ive also tried the locktite stuff and i think i have 3 or 4 unused cans on the shelf as i didnt like it for side pannels and stuff thats hanging..
Dave

houston54

That is what I have been using so I am good there.

Has anyone figured out a slick way to secure the carpet along the thresholds such that battery box access is retained?  

Thinking of running velcro strips down the sides and along the toe board seam to permit the floor carpet to be pulled up.  Any comments?  Any suggestions where I can source velcro for that?

I know - new guy with too many * questions.

rumrumm

Check out the American Trim and Upholstery website at www.atrim.com/Page21.html . Any auto upholstery shop should have the industrial strength velcro or they could order it for you.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

You can get rolls of Velcro from NAPA.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: houston54That is what I have been using so I am good there.

Has anyone figured out a slick way to secure the carpet along the thresholds such that battery box access is retained?  

Thinking of running velcro strips down the sides and along the toe board seam to permit the floor carpet to be pulled up.  Any comments?  Any suggestions where I can source velcro for that?

Check out this here gen-u-ine tech tip from our tech tip stash... :idea:  :idea:

No extra charge.... :lol:

Bob...... :wink:

http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6626
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

houston54

Thea J strip trick worked out very well as did the velcro along the threshold.  The PITA was trying to find that J strip.  Home Depot did not know what the heck I was asking for and the new fancy Ace (not the place) was of equal help.  Found it at a local True Value Hardware for $7 for a 3' strip.  Perfect length for the application also.

Carpet went fairly well (pics soon) but the area under the column proved to be a challenge.  Did not turn out as well as I had hoped so it will be redone.

Plan to run the truck through safety inspection later this week and be performing shake down cruises in the area this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

river1

Quote from: "houston54"and be performing shake down cruises in the area this weekend.

SWEET!!!
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "houston54"Thea J strip trick worked out very well as did the velcro along the threshold.  The PITA was trying to find that J strip.  Home Depot did not know what the heck I was asking for and the new fancy Ace (not the place) was of equal help.  Found it at a local True Value Hardware for $7 for a 3' strip.  Perfect length for the application also.

Carpet went fairly well (pics soon) but the area under the column proved to be a challenge.  Did not turn out as well as I had hoped so it will be redone.

Plan to run the truck through safety inspection later this week and be performing shake down cruises in the area this weekend.

Thanks for the tips.

Happy we could help... :D  The best place to find the "J-Channel" is in the glass dept ...Its used for hanging commerical mirrors..Normally comes in 8' lengths...It also works GREAT at the back of the kick panels by the door jamb....You can use it to hold your windlace tight in that area...A couple of 2 or 4 pop-rivits in the flange...Slide the kick panel into the channel...POOF  :!:  Instant custom upholstery  :!:  :!:   Ask about our other "bargins" ... :lol:  :lol:

Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****