Power Outlet/Lighter Wiring

Started by houston54, June 26, 2008, 01:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houston54

I have installed a reproduction "cigar" lighter in the 54 and have a power lead and a ground lead to it. Testing with the continuity tester confirms I have 12V and the ground connection has also been confirmed.  The problem is I cannot get the element to heat up.  I have tested the element in another vehicle and it works.

The power outlet using consists of a inner barrel and and outer barrel which threads on to the back end of the inner barrel and holds it to the backside of the dash panel.  The ground wire is connected to a male spade lug on this outer panel and is wired to a common gnd point I am using for the dash lights and wiper motor both of which are functioning fine.

Before I yank this out I am hoping someone may be able to provide a clue as to what I am doing wrong on this installation.

enjenjo

Are you sure what you have is a lighter socket, and not a power tap? they look about the same, but a lighter won't work in a power tap.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

houston54

Here is a pic of the assembly.  I have tried the radar detector in it as well with no success.

crdnblu

Please don't be offended, but is your 12 volt source "keyed" (switched), or constant?

houston54

No problem at all.  The 12v is a constant source. I used an EZ wire harness which has a lead specifically for the lighter.  It is hot with or without the key in the run position.

crdnblu

Putting aside electrical checking for the moment, if you push the lighter unit in, & HOLD it pushed in, any luck?
Also, try another known working lighter unit in the socket, to see if it heats up.  That would potentially isolate your problem to either the socket element piece, or the lighter unit piece.

For me, it wouldn't be the first time that a new lighter assembly was DOA.......

Skip

Quote from: "houston54"No problem at all.  The 12v is a constant source. I used an EZ wire harness which has a lead specifically for the lighter.  It is hot with or without the key in the run position.

...and it's also woefully small wire for a lighter application.  It's more suited for a power point application.  The wire is so small, you're probably only getting 9 volts at the lighter socket.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

Skip

Quote from: "houston54"Here is a pic of the assembly.  I have tried the radar detector in it as well with no success.

FWIW, a lighter socket will have a pair of tabs in the bottom to "capture" the lighter element.  A power point won't have the two tabs.  It'll only have a single contact in the center
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

houston54

Update:
The problem has been solved.  I bought another outlet assembly at the local FLAPs and noted it had a positive terminal on the end that my mail order unit did not.  Changed it out and everything powers up.  That is the first time this supplier disappointed me so I consider myself lucky.  Thanks for the help.