Frank- S10 sway bar???

Started by Jokester, June 13, 2008, 02:18:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jokester

Hey Frank,

Some time back you mentioned putting a sway bar off of an S10 on a Mustang II suspension.

Did it work OK?
What years of S10 would that be?

thx,

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

enjenjo

It worked fine, I have done two of them now. I think I bent each end in 1" to make it fit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I suspect the year would be any as the chassis was essentially the same through the end of production in2002 or 2003.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

GPster

I just so happens I have an ''87 S15 (GMC) frame sitting within a couple of feet of a ruler. I'll measure it if you want. GPster

enjenjo

Sorry about that, both of the ones I used were off 86 model chassis, but they were the same through at least 93.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jokester

Yes GPster,  I'd appreciate knowing center to center distance, thanks

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

GPster

OK You all know that I have a problem saying anything in "A Few Words" so pull up a chair. The distance from eyelet-to-eyelet where the sway bar goes to the lower A frames is 40". On the angle that the end of the bars are bent it is 12 1/2" from eyelet to the main cross of the bar. Now the main section across kinks foreward about an inch for radiator clearance. Because of this kink there are only a straight places in the bar for the frame mounts between 25" and 28" apart. Or out from the center of the bar there are places from 12 1/2" TO 14" on each side. The rest of the bar is taken up with the kink or bends back (which are a fairly large radius). Now the truck in question is/was an '87 GMC S15. It is a SWB 2WD and the bar is 1"OD. The truck may have had some sort of suspension option because I believe it came with 15" wheels. I had after-market wheels on it (that I didn't get) but the spare was a factory 15" wheel that I've been told was fairly rare. Hope this helps. GPster

Jokester

Thanks for the info.  Time to get out my tape measure.

.bjb