GM rear end help

Started by enjenjo, May 02, 2008, 07:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I am going to search, but one of you may have the info I need. I have a rear end here, which has a 10 bolt cover, but a 12 bolt carrier. :shock:  This is actually a BOP rear end, but this one came out of a 76 Malibu wagon, and was factory.

The problem I have is I want to change the gear ratio, but no new gears are available. This uses different pinion bearings than a normal 12 bolt.

I am trying to find out if the Hypoid offset on this gear set is the same as a regular 12 bolt  gear set. If it is, I can use a standard gearset with some juggling of bearings, and minor machine work on the carrier.

So any one know the Hypoid offset?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I'd like to help but you found something I've never seen.
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

I believe Hot Rod or Car Craft did an article on Dana ,9inch,and 12bolt diffs this month. I believe they stated the pinion offset in the article.

enjenjo

Quote from: "chimp koose"I believe Hot Rod or Car Craft did an article on Dana ,9inch,and 12bolt diffs this month. I believe they stated the pinion offset in the article.

Of course my sub ran out last month. I'll see if the news stand has it.

wayne petty

must be car craft...its not in the current hot rod....  my car craft ran out also... hr is good till sept. 2011...

just saw this

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/drivetrain/chevy_12_bolt_differential_install/index.html

this place seems to have a decent part page for rear ends... i have not found your bop 10 bolt with a 12 bolt carrier...

http://www.accuautoparts.com/axleinfo.jsp?sr=1

tomslik

i've heard of 'em but never seen one.
big GD help i am, right? :shock:  :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Well, I found that the pinion offset is the same, but the gears can't be interchanged. The ring gear pilot diameter is different, that can be machined, or a spacer made depending on which way you are going. The ring gear bolts are a different size, but the same bolt pattern, that can be handled too. The killer is the pinion length. A regular 12 bolt pinion is 1/2" shorter, and there is no way to get the bearing and a yoke in the space available.

So we are starting over with another housing, we fitted the ring and pinion before we started on this one :lol:

I am amazed by the variations we are finding, I thought most of them were the same.