Rear end coil over brackets.. Pics here

Started by Dave, May 27, 2008, 07:04:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Ok after driving the roadster and finding the problem with the extreme angle (45 degrees) I came up with a plan for new lower brackets to move the shocks inward at the bottom  thus decreasing the angle (ended up at 25 degrees) and at the same time by my calculations im also decreasing body roll and stiffening up the shocks. I went to tractor supply right after work tonite to buy some grade 8 5/8 bolts, lock washers and nuts . I cant get any 5/8 stainless around here so this will do till i get some..  Its all together heres the pics of the installation and the brackets.. I started with 1 inch cold rolled and then i milled the offset into the brackets to have that same mounting plane as the original mounts..  Now ive got to admit by my own perfectionist status im not totally happy with my plan but it was the easiest and best way to accomplish the objective and keep the springs on the coil overs from hitting the insides of the frame rails.. At the same time it raised the car some but i needed a little more clearance.. If i decide i dont like it ill make new brackets but in reality it raised the car 1 3/8 inches and i lowered it about an inch by lowering the springs.. Next is another test ride for an afternoon..
Dave.

enjenjo

It looks like that will work. It actually looks pretty good from here.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"It looks like that will work. It actually looks pretty good from here.

It looks pretty good frank and ya it will work or i wouldnt have done it but if id realized it was a problem i coulda done it a lot prettier but its done now and i didnt mess up any paint .. by my calculations on the pro shock web site at the angle the shocks were mounted to get 200 pound spring rates the shocks needed 377 pound springs.. Wow ... Im really thinking these are 200 pound springs so its no wonder it had a lot of body roll and seemed pretty soft in the rear (i can remember when i wanted a girl like that)     :lol:  :lol: I got a short ride and it still feels pretty good so after the frost tomorrow morning  :evil: Maybe we get back to summer and i can test some more.. Although im not totally happy with the appearance they work and im learning more .. I can see if the angle  of the shock is severe like mine were they will actually pivot quite a ways before the springs come into play along with the internals of the shocks not liking the angle..  Interesting stuff......
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

Bugpac

The problem is you have to use the shock to get spring rate, at that angle its still using some travel by just swinging the shock. Now if they were angled forward to the same way the bars are then it would use more yet.... :D

Looks good BTW....
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Well Leonard thanks .. its higher in the rear now but it has 3 inches of clearance so ill prolly never bottom it out and i could get fancy and drop the mounts down another inch but im gonna just fly it now and see what happens.. maybe the shocks will still settle some more and maybe not.. I spent all evening cleaning the pig up after the monday run in the bugs..  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: ... Hey it runs and its cool so why get excited.. Ive learned to level out and not worry so much... Im having fun too... Ill look again this fall and decide if it needs fixing.. :)
Dave :wink:  :arrow: