tilt,tele steering column

Started by 48thames, November 10, 2007, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48thames

Hello
I have finally started to reassamble my 48 thames and am trying to mate a upper part of a tele tilt column to my chevy lower steering column. I am not even sure of year or make of gm tele, but the turn signal switcth is cable operated . I have modified the plate that holds the 4 bolts and have that figured out, but I am looking for a digram to to put the upper part together.  I searchhed the web and and can't find a site wit pix. There are some pieces that I am not sure what order they go in. Sorry for the long post, but I am really stuck and would like t finish it so I can move on to the narrowed rack. Thanks. This is what happens when you wait to long to get back to working on it.

wayne petty

cable operated turn signal switches came on 64- 65 gm models... last one i worked on was on a 65 buick special...

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Chevy/58-68parts/6.000/pages/Image47_jpg.htm   is the chevy pdf..

this is for a 66 olds..

http://tocmp.com/manuals/Olds/1966/Chassis/09-Steering.pdf  more stuff on page 42 or so...this is a good one to have  lots  of steering columns...

still not a remote switch version though...;looked agin it does have the romote switch

48thames

Thanks for the pix, thats excacty what I was looking for.

freddrew

Thanks Wayne for the information on the Olds Tilt/Telescoping column.  I have on that I plan to try and instal in my 47 Chev Aerosedan.  I hope I don't have to take it apart, but if I do this will certainly help.

Fred Drew
Fred

wayne petty

yea i know it old but i just ran across this link that is a cable mounted turn signal switch for i think the buick or olds columns

http://wiringharness.com/images/parts/01993624.jpg

i just saw the site looks like the have a lot of gm ts switches.. and the adaptors to go from newer switch to  older harnesses...

maybe that could even be used on the end of a differnt kind of cable as a hidden turn signal switch...

48thames

Hello
Does anyone know if #28 in this pic is a must have and if so,what is it's purpose? I am trying to mate the bottom half of a tilt collumn to the top half of tilt-tele collumn and the lower shaft doesn't have a hole for the spring to sit in and I don't want to weaken the shaft by drilling it because it's not as thick and is beveled more then the upper shaft. Thanks.

http://www.tocmp.com/manuals/Chevy/58-68parts/6.000/pages/Image47_jpg.htm

wayne petty

how far into the plastic spider does the spring go...  or does it just make contact for the horn through the upper shaft????

as many columns as i have had apart.. i have only once had to separate the joint...

how tight is the joint when you put it together????

is there a metal strip that wraps around the spider????

is the plastic spider the same on both shafts?????  

on later model telescopics  69 to 92..be really careful with the plastic C clip cover that isolates the spring on the back of the steering wheel from the lock plate... they are not in the gm computer any more...

48thames

It goes all the way through the plastic ball and into a pre drilled hole. The plastic ball on both collunms look the same except the one that came with the spring is hollow for the spring to pass through. I will take some more pix of what I am trying to do. Thanks.

wayne petty

if it fits into the yoke... and it extends through the ball.. i dont think the column will flex...   will it.. i know it is in your hand...  so you will have to see  exactally what it does...  i still seem to think it grounds the lower shaft to the upper...

nope... i was downloading a later model service manual for gm from the old car site.. and i have my feet sitting agenst the 87  a and g body manual...

looks like the spring put a preload on the joint to stop it from being loose..

the later model one is a flat bottomed U shape that locks the upper and lower "Sphere, shaft center"  together ... and puts the joint under tention..

the Spring , shaft center   is what it is labeled...

wayne

enjenjo

The spring is there to lift the top of the column for the tele function. If you don't install it, you will have to manually postion the wheel and then lock it.

FWIW the cable operated switch is the biggest piece of crap GM ever came up with. The adjustment is really critical, and most of them go out of adjustment when you change the tilt angle.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48thames

Yes, the old one has the u clip and the new one has the spring.

I thought it was a ground but now I think its to keep the tele shaft from falling out the bottom into the ball,but I haven't got it all back together to see if thats the case. Thanks

sirstude

66 also on the cable mounted turn signals.  I just picked one up from a 66 caprice for my Impala.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us