Street Rod of the Year

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, July 12, 2004, 08:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ohio Blue Tip

Looks like he used a 1933 Dodge dash.  I have a pristine one, maybe I should build a 32 so I can use it.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

SKR8PN

IMHO,When there have been so MANY '32 roadsters built,the DETAILS are the ONLY thing that will set you apart from the crowd. When that happens,it is time to pick another car to build.........and another color.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Jimmy Jay

Thanks for sharing the photos Denise.

I like it, and I don't care for commercial headlights.

Jay
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.  :wink:

av8

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"My comment about 30 views and no opinions or comments was dircted at those 30 folks (or one person 30 times  :lol:  ) that viewed the photos yet decided that they didn't have a comment or opinion regarding the roadster.

I'm glad they painted it the color they did, how many black, red or yellow roadsters are out there?  Trust me, these photos don't do it justice.  

Wish Roadstar would chime in on some of the subtle and unique aspects to the car.  He must have been looking at P*O*R*N last nite and not hot rod sites  :lol:

Didn't see your post until this morning. Very nice car. I like the color, very appropriate Deuce-like hue, would have liked to see something different in the interior.  The exhaust treatment looks unfinished. All this is, of course, IMHO, and I still like the car.

FWIW, I also feel that making old-Ford style wheels from billet is a bit much. It's the sort of trick that earns judging points, however, and makes folks gasp. There was a Riddler winner a few years ago that had a fan shroud whittled out of a 50-pound block of aluminum, earning it lotsa points, I'd guess. Like it or not, money is a key ingredient for winning prestigious awards.

I still like the car, and thanks for your clear and detailed photos, Denise.

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"My comment about 30 views and no opinions or comments was dircted at those 30 folks (or one person 30 times  :lol:  ) that viewed the photos yet decided that they didn't have a comment or opinion regarding the roadster.

Well, Denise, I'm one of those folks, as I viewed your pics several times soon after your posting, while trying to solidify my opinion.  ....Thanks for posting them, they're great.

My Dad always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Truth be told, I had very mixed emotions when viewing the pics.

The workmanship appears flawless, but I, too, am surprised by the attention it received.  ...Then again, I wasn't there!

It's not my favorite year, style, or color, so I would have probably glanced at it, and kept walking.

I love the interior!  .....I liked the look of the "steelies," until I read what they were and asked myself... "WHY?"  ....Bragging rights?

Hilborns on the street --- TRADITIONAL???? .....I don't think so! .....If they went EFI, that is about as appropriate as billet steelies.  .....I am a BIG fan of EFI, but don't try to pass it off as traditional.  

So, my Dad was right!  ...I SHOULD keep quiet more often!

I know in my heart that I do not have the skill, time, patience, dollars, or DESIRE, to execute details to the level presented in the pics.  ....For ME, I enjoy the driving, tinkering, fabricating, problem-solving, and mechanical work.  Asthetics are way down the list!  (See how weird I am?)  

I rarely comment on pics of cars presented here or on other boards.  ....They belong to someone else, who built what THEY like (and hopefully,) to the best of their abilities.  ....Who am I to judge??

See what you started? :roll:  :lol:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Dave

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"

Well, Denise, I'm one of those folks, as I viewed your pics several times soon after your posting, while trying to solidify my opinion.  ....Thanks for posting them, they're great.

My Dad always said, "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

Truth be told, I had very mixed emotions when viewing the pics.

The workmanship appears flawless, but I, too, am surprised by the attention it received.  ...Then again, I wasn't there!

It's not my favorite year, style, or color, so I would have probably glanced at it, and kept walking.

I love the interior!  .....I liked the look of the "steelies," until I read what they were and asked myself... "WHY?"  ....Bragging rights?

Hilborns on the street --- TRADITIONAL???? .....I don't think so! .....If they went EFI, that is about as appropriate as billet steelies.  .....I am a BIG fan of EFI, but don't try to pass it off as traditional.  

So, my Dad was right!  ...I SHOULD keep quiet more often!

I know in my heart that I do not have the skill, time, patience, dollars, or DESIRE, to execute details to the level presented in the pics.  ....For ME, I enjoy the driving, tinkering, fabricating, problem-solving, and mechanical work.  Asthetics are way down the list!  (See how weird I am?)  

I rarely comment on pics of cars presented here or on other boards.  ....They belong to someone else, who built what THEY like (and hopefully,) to the best of their abilities.  ....Who am I to judge??

See what you started? :roll:  :lol:

So how do you really feel ? lol..
I like it it and its not overdone maybe thats why it got street rod of the year? Kiss.....
Dave
ps; maybe the hilborn was over kill but its actually so clean and plain it needed sumpin...........

1FATGMC

My Opinion?

I would have probably walked right on by it.  

That doesn't mean it isn't a nice car.  I just appreciate a car that I can see someone rescued and put a ton of their time and ideas into and not a ton of money into.

And a car has to have some attitude or character to it to get me to spend some time looking at it.  That car is "too nice" for me.

If I had a choice between "Big Olds" and that car and I couldn't sell either it would be "Big Olds".  If I could sell which ever one I got of course it would be the other car (sorry Denise) and I would sell it as fast as I could and never regret it.

If the owner is happy, then great, that is the main thing.  Never build a car for an award or someone else, is what I belive in.  Build it or have it built to make you a happy person.

c ya, Sum

Carps

Geez, I copped it in the neck a few days back for saying on the HRI what I thought of a couple of butt ugly Aussie customs and now I'm being invited to say what i think again?

Oh well, here goes nuthin.   :?

Gorgeous car and I actually like the colour but only because it's not a regular deuce roadster scheme.

Of course I'd never build it because much of what makes a deuce roadster a deuce roadster has been screwed with.  I've never been a fan of anything that brings the back of the body down to neatly frame the tank like this one does.  Even those little corner thingies that allegedly 'clean up' the lower rear quarters of a deuce body, give me the 'Jimmy Britts'.  

To me, a hot rod should have lots of barbs, harsh angles and ugly corners with bits of chassis and mechanical components exposed for all to see.  Unless of course it's a reesto type rod in which case it has fenders, lots of ugly lights mounted on posts etc.

The curved chassis end tie bars are well done, but not correct for a hot rod deuce as I percieve it should be and those billet wjheels are just plain wrong, especially the rears which to me look way out of proprtion.

The dash, I love and if I was building a deuce, I'd certainly consider duplicating that element of this car.  EFI on a flatty in a roadster is just plain straight out wrong!  If that unit actually looked like a genuine vintage Hilborn set-up, it may be closer to OK than it is.

And don't get me started on those dummy Buick brakes, they look even more like fakes on this car for some reason, than they do on many other cars.  I believe Wilson Machine have all the parts to actually have finned Buick drums on the front and or rear, so if that's the look, wanted, then why not go with stuff that at least looks like the real deal?  And don't give me all that stuff about discs being better, there's a reason most heavy trucks still use drums and I'd recon those discs are likely to wear out prematurely as a result of regular overheating in that confined space.

If you wanna see a genuine hot rod deuce roadster, take another look at Don's car, it's about as cloes as any car on a repro chassis will ever get to being the quintesential HOT ROD Deuce roadster.  And I don't say that just coz Don's my buddy, but because I've seen the original car up close and freindly and know it is one awesome hunk of modified Henry Ford metal that hasn't been screwed up by changing the original lines.

Geez, do I sound like some old restorer, or what?   :lol:
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Leon

It looks nice, but I'll wait to see how many miles it gets on the road not on and off a trailer.

bdrake

I was at the debut of this car at Troy's last month, I like it. I like subtle modifications and the color works for me on this car. As for that color, it is a stock underhood color from some import model. The front spreader bar is curved to match the rear one, as is the windshield. Nickel plating was used instead of chrome and it is a steel body. Little things like alternator wiring run through tubing that is formed and bolted to the oil pan make this car.
Bill
Bill

merc50

Quote from: "Leon"It looks nice, but I'll wait to see how many miles it gets on the road not on and off a trailer.

Well, for what it is worth most if not all the cars built by Troy get run hard.

I saw Sniper several times flying down a freeway near shows it appeared at.  Moose, the guy that travels with the cars to shows drives them...heck, he drove Chicayne on the Power Tour last year in horrid rain and they even lost a headlight on the trip to Dallas from Lousiana.

If the owner does not drive it, it will get driven by the crew...it seems they like to really put them through a good shake down before they are sent away.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Merc50, you are so right when it comes to the rides that Troy builds.  I've done a number of Power Tours with them starting in 2000 where I think it was the two tone orange wagon that they DROVE from San Berdo, CA to Panama City Beach, Fl.  Most PT's the Troy crew has a number of customer cars that they are driving. I have also seen the Sniper on the road, along with Chicayne, which Troy hasn't given to Billet Specialities yet cuz he's having to much fun driving it.  The only one in recent history that I can't remember seeing myself is the CadAttack, but that doesn't mean it wasn't/isn't driven.  From what Levi told us the roadster will be taken to the GNRS in Jan, after that the owner plans on driving it all over himself.  

Levi was telling us that they will be starting a Cuda for Poteet which will have a Crylser 4 banger in it and it's being built to race on the B'ville salt flats.

He might be a high dollar shop but him and the guys there like to build cars that are going to be driven.  I don't think this '32 is going to be any different.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.