Paging WZJunk & Bob Paulin/ 70-81 Camaro toMetric Rotor

Started by Ralph, June 04, 2004, 08:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph

I'd been asking about ways to narrow a 70-81 Camaro front Subframe, and you two mentioned using Metric rotors. How much room does this swap gain?  Bob said "one can use NAPA Part # BR-6 and BR-09074 bearings to adapt a GM 108" Metric chassis rotor to a Camaro spindle. "What else is involved in making it work?
Ralph
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "Ralph"I'd been asking about ways to narrow a 70-81 Camaro front Subframe, and you two mentioned using Metric rotors. How much room does this swap gain?  Bob said "one can use NAPA Part # BR-6 and BR-09074 bearings to adapt a GM 108" Metric chassis rotor to a Camaro spindle. "What else is involved in making it work?
Ralph

According to the note I have in BBBoS, that's all you'll need.....

....and you'll gain approximately one-inch per side for approximately two-inches total.

The difference comes from the height of the "hat" on the Metric rotor versus the Camaro rotor.

Bob Paulin
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Ralph

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
Quote from: "Ralph"I'd been asking about ways to narrow a 70-81 Camaro front Subframe, and you two mentioned using Metric rotors. How much room does this swap gain?  Bob said "one can use NAPA Part # BR-6 and BR-09074 bearings to adapt a GM 108" Metric chassis rotor to a Camaro spindle. "What else is involved in making it work?
Ralph

According to the note I have in BBBoS, that's all you'll need.....

....and you'll gain approximately one-inch per side for approximately two-inches total.

The difference comes from the height of the "hat" on the Metric rotor versus the Camaro rotor.

Bob Paulin

Thanks Bob! Now the dumb question... What car can I refer to so the Napa parts guy gets the right rotors?
Ralph

WZ JUNK

In addition you will need to use a caliper from a 80's Caprice or half ton pickup.  You will need to clearance (grind away) a little from the spindle where the caliper mounts and use the longer caliper bolts from the Caprice/truck caliper.  Also you will need to use an old brake pad or make a spacer to use in this caliper.  Except for the already mentioned outer bearing change, that about does it.  If you have questions, just ask.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Ralph

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"In addition you will need to use a caliper from a 80's Caprice or half ton pickup.  You will need to clearance (grind away) a little from the spindle where the caliper mounts and use the longer caliper bolts from the Caprice/truck caliper.  Also you will need to use an old brake pad or make a spacer to use in this caliper.  Except for the already mentioned outer bearing change, that about does it.  If you have questions, just ask.
Questions? Oooooh I've got lotsa questions! :lol: Ok, so the old Camaro calipers won't work. I guess if I knew the difference in the two rotors I'd know why. Sorry, I'm new at this (where's that "dunce" emoticon?)So...
1. Whats the difference in the rotors besides "hat" size?
2. Is the spacer in the 80's Caprice caliper to compensate for a thinner Metric Rotor?
Ralph

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "Ralph"
Quote from: "WZ JUNK"In addition you will need to use a caliper from a 80's Caprice or half ton pickup.  You will need to clearance (grind away) a little from the spindle where the caliper mounts and use the longer caliper bolts from the Caprice/truck caliper.  Also you will need to use an old brake pad or make a spacer to use in this caliper.  Except for the already mentioned outer bearing change, that about does it.  If you have questions, just ask.
Questions? Oooooh I've got lotsa questions! :lol: Ok, so the old Camaro calipers won't work. I guess if I knew the difference in the two rotors I'd know why. Sorry, I'm new at this (where's that "dunce" emoticon?)So...
1. Whats the difference in the rotors besides "hat" size?
2. Is the spacer in the 80's Caprice caliper to compensate for a thinner Metric Rotor?
Ralph

There is a slight difference in the diameter and I think the caliper change is do to the offset of rotor.  Never the less it requires this setup to work.  Rotors and calipers for these models are not expensive.  If you are unsure as to what to do,  pick up what you need for one side at a salvage yard and try them on for size.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Ralph

There is a slight difference in the diameter and I think the caliper change is do to the offset of rotor.  Never the less it requires this setup to work.  Rotors and calipers for these models are not expensive.  If you are unsure as to what to do,  pick up what you need for one side at a salvage yard and try them on for size./

Thanks WZ Junk & Bob. I'm sure when all the parts are in front of me, it'll all become clear. I love this board! The depth of obscure automotive knowledge here always amazes me!
Ralph