Shocking situation

Started by enjenjo, April 27, 2008, 03:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Today was oil change day on my Pontiac, 2000 model Bonneville. When we were done, Josh was backing it off the ramps, and said the brakes had gone out. :shock:  Sure enough, one of the steel lines had burst in front of the rear axle. Jacked it up, got under it, and found that one section of line was a mass of rust. :shock: But only that line, the rest looked like new. I'm guessing for one reason or another it was never corrosion coated. So I replaced the bad line, blasted bubble flares, and bled the brakes. All is well now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

In my part of the world, they use mag. chloride to de-ice the roads. The company trucks that are on the roads all the time suffer from the same fate as you have described. That stuff ruins the paint on my vehicles as well. May not be the cause but I have seen it several times.
TEAM SMART

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"........... one section of line was a mass of rust. :shock:..................

Rust in Ohio, I would have never believed it  8) .

I'm really glad the problem "busted loose" where it did and not out on the road.  Scary thought,

Sum

GPster

I know you said that you got Sundays to work on your own stuff but I thought you meant the Buick station wagon. I got to work on my own stuff today. It's called lawn. GPster

39deluxe

My wife was just starting the lawn work when I left for work yesterday. She does pretty good until the grass gets dry and her allergies act up. I thought that I was going to have to spend tomorrow mowing but it looks like I can play with my junk instead.

On my '85 Olds Ciera the seat was starting to settle through the floor but the brake lines were hanging in there. The rack was leaking real bad and all of the fixes in a can failed to stop it so I switched to Rotella T. It quit leaking for about a year. Then when it let go again it could not be stopped. The front inner sheet metal was so rusted that if I would have taken the engine cradle down to remove the rack the whole thing would have collapsed. That was a sad day when I drove it to the scrapyard. 325,000 miles and the 4 banger still didn't use a drop of oil between changes. Oil changes, tune up parts and a couple of valve cover gaskets are all I ever did to it. I bought it for $200. with 167,000 miles on it.

If not for rust I'd still be driving it..........maybe.

Tom

wayne petty

i should complain about working on cars here in los angeles... all the rust they get from driving through the car washes...

i have worked on cars that have lived here their entire life and only have a light patina of rust on unpainted items after 30 or 40 years....

when i worked full time at the last shop with the sleeping boss... i could go for a week without touching the wd40...

i did think ahead and put antiseize on almost everything that i put together... just incase it comes in years from now...

UGLY OLDS

The spare tire wheel under my GMC pickup is rusted through..The tire is still brand new from 1989...You can almost poke your finger through the wheel..... :(  :(   Good ol' midwest winters.... :cry:  :roll:

Bob.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Leon

I pulled the S-10 on the rack today for an oil change and found the exhaust flattened where it crosses under the oil pan.  I went to Chevy to see what a replacement piece would cost----$740  :shock:  :shock:
They sell that piece as a unit with the cats, not available separately.  I cut out the bad section and welded in a new piece, works good as new.  Maybe someday I'll put better headers on it and redo the Y pipe.