Hey welding pros

Started by Grandadeo, April 03, 2008, 10:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grandadeo

Can anyone tell me if chrome pot metal taillight housings, as in 1954 Chevy, can be welded to the fender sheet metal.  Never had any reason to try this before but have a project going that might want to try it, if it will work.  I just invision a puddle of pot metal on the floor so I thought I'd ask the experts.

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50

Bib_Overalls

I don't think so.  But sure as s#!t someone here will prove me wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pot_metal

We recently worked some pot metal Dodge Meadowlark headlight rings.  They were badly pitted.  Advance plating wanted a fortune to make them right.  So we sanded them down, bead blasted them, filled the pits with bondo, primed and painted to match.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

enjenjo

With the right rod, and  clean metal it is possible to braze them in place.

I would use Fusor, and glue them in place.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Grandadeo

I believe I have some Silicon Bronze rod out in the garage.  Wonder if that would do the trick?

Lee

Beck

Quote from: "enjenjo"With the right rod, and  clean metal it is possible to braze them in place.

I would use Fusor, and glue them in place.

I second the Fusor. Don't try to weld them without practicing on something very similar. After you melt them you will have to go to plan B. Plan B starts with buying another tail light housing.

chimp koose

I would glue them on. My experience with pot metal welding is that I become a magician and make the stuff just go poof and disappear.

unklian

Potmetal is mostly Zinc,the melting temperature
of Bronze is much higher than Zinc.

There are solders available that should work.

enjenjo

There are die cast brazing rods available, very low temp melting point, check your local welding supply. The problem is, most old castings are so internally oxyidized that the filler rod doesn't want to stick.

I glued a pair of 49 Merc diecast housings into a chevy truck fender with epoxy about 20 years ago, filled it with Long and strong, and they have not cracked yet.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"There are die cast brazing rods available, very low temp melting point, check your local welding supply. The problem is, most old castings are so internally oxyidized that the filler rod doesn't want to stick.

I glued a pair of 49 Merc diecast housings into a chevy truck fender with epoxy about 20 years ago, filled it with Long and strong, and they have not cracked yet.

Is that the fender sitting in the shed out back  :twisted: ,  sorry I couldn't help myself.  Have a good weekend  :D ,

Sum

enjenjo

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "enjenjo"There are die cast brazing rods available, very low temp melting point, check your local welding supply. The problem is, most old castings are so internally oxyidized that the filler rod doesn't want to stick.

Is that the fender sitting in the shed out back  :twisted: ,  sorry I couldn't help myself.  Have a good weekend  :D ,

Sum

No, they are going up and down the road. :roll:  I don't like 49 Merc tail lights myself.

Grandadeo

Thanks guys for the responses.  Sounds like our first idea is out.  My son and I are toying with some mild custom ideas for my '53 Belvedere hardtop.  Frenched headlights, differenr taillights, that kind of stuff.  Any suggestions for taillights?

Lee

enjenjo

Use the Chevy lenses, make a new Bezel out of sheet metal and round rod.