What yar tranny is best

Started by moose, April 05, 2008, 06:04:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

I am lookin ginto putting a 200--4R tranny in my coupe.  I am looking for suggestions on the better years to look for. Baring availablity of a 200-4R what years are best to look for in a 700-R4?

Thanks

Tim

river1

from memory, i think it's 87 or newer. maybe someone else can confirm or deny this

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

enjenjo

Newer is better in most cases, but your rebuilder should know the updates to make. Do a web search, there are several sites with 200R4 info, some of it correct.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "river1"from memory, i think it's 87 or newer. maybe someone else can confirm or deny this

later jim

That is right for the 700R4.  The older ones can be upgraded, but will cost you more for the hard parts.  The 200R4 years, I don't know.  I also don't know if all the 200R4's have the dual bolt pattern or not.  The one I had did.  If you get one you had better make sure it does if it is going behind a sbc.

Where is Tony when you need him  :wink: ,

Sum

Carnut

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "river1"from memory, i think it's 87 or newer. maybe someone else can confirm or deny this

later jim

That is right for the 700R4.  The older ones can be upgraded, but will cost you more for the hard parts.  The 200R4 years, I don't know.  I also don't know if all the 200R4's have the dual bolt pattern or not.  The one I had did.  If you get one you had better make sure it does if it is going behind a sbc.

Where is Tony when you need him  :wink: ,

Sum

Last I heard Tony was sunning himself on a beach in Waikiki.

Crosley.In.AZ

If you have the trans in front of you for a good look - see.

Find a rainbow case 700r4.

in the photo (IF you clik on photo a larger image appears) there is a cast line in the case. Looks like a rainbow. This indicates a 1987 - up case.  Some 1987 cases are early design.  A 1987 year  is a cross over year when GM was changing stuff inside the 700 / 4L60 trans.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

zzford

You might want to check out this link. It has a lot of good info about the 700 r4 and the 200 4r.
http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=426&SID=6&CID=17

My52Chebby

Quote from: "zzford"You might want to check out this link. It has a lot of good info about the 700 r4 and the 200 4r.

Hi ZZFord,

I was reading the link you provided. There's a company (PATC) working on producing a 200R4 geared 700R4. It will have the durability of the later 700R4's but the close ratio gearing of the 200R4.

Unfortunately, they're a bit slow for my needs. My credit card is itching to pay for that new/rebuilt/redesigned 700R4 unit but they keep postponing the release date. Last I heard, they said it would be ready by the end of this month or the middle of May.

Here's a link to their web page. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm

Go to the very bottom of the web page, it's called "The Next Big Thing"

My52Chebby

Leon

I've bought parts from them.  They have good stuff but they sometimes get careless on which part they ship so you end up with the wrong stuff.  They've made it good but it takes time.  Make sure when you order they repeat back to you what they are sending.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "My52Chebby"
Quote from: "zzford"You might want to check out this link. It has a lot of good info about the 700 r4 and the 200 4r.

Hi ZZFord,

I was reading the link you provided. There's a company (PATC) working on producing a 200R4 geared 700R4. It will have the durability of the later 700R4's but the close ratio gearing of the 200R4.

Unfortunately, they're a bit slow for my needs. My credit card is itching to pay for that new/rebuilt/redesigned 700R4 unit but they keep postponing the release date. Last I heard, they said it would be ready by the end of this month or the middle of May.

Here's a link to their web page. http://www.transmissioncenter.net/highperflist.htm

My52Chebby

I would think you are only going to notice the narrower 1-2 ratio if you are a serious drag racer.  Actually I like the low 1st in my case pulling the teardrop so much and even with it it really accelerates in 1st with a low HP motor.  With my 3.50 rear gears 1st is pretty much like running 4.26's with a 350/400/200R4 transmission.

Tony rebuild a 4L80E for me to go behind the turbo motor and I have a feeling my wimp little motor in there now might be quicker to 20 mph than that motor will be with the higher 1st gear which is even made worst by the .75 overdrive in the 4L80E and the fact I'll probably run a 3.25 rear gear to keep my highway rpm where it is now.  The higher .64 4th in their transmission will be a bonus as you could probably run in my case 3.73 gears and have the same 4th cruising rpm's and closer to the same 1st final gear ration.

I didn't see what one of those is going to cost???  I'm also don't know if I would want one of the first ones put in service.

c ya,

Sum

My52Chebby

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "My52Chebby"

Hi ZZFord,

My52Chebby

I would think you are only going to notice the narrower 1-2 ratio if you are a serious drag racer.  Actually I like the low 1st in my case pulling the teardrop so much and even with it it really accelerates in 1st with a low HP motor.  With my 3.50 rear gears 1st is pretty much like running 4.26's with a 350/400/200R4 transmission.

Tony rebuild a 4L80E for me to go behind the turbo motor and I have a feeling my wimp little motor in there now might be quicker to 20 mph than that motor will be with the higher 1st gear which is even made worst by the .75 overdrive in the 4L80E and the fact I'll probably run a 3.25 rear gear to keep my highway rpm where it is now.  The higher .64 4th in their transmission will be a bonus as you could probably run in my case 3.73 gears and have the same 4th cruising rpm's and closer to the same 1st final gear ration.

I didn't see what one of those is going to cost???  I'm also don't know if I would want one of the first ones put in service.

c ya,

Sum

Hi Sum,

The guys at PATC told me that the cost for the new gear set would be an additional $700. to my choice of transmission. Don't know if it would be more expensive just to buy the gear set outright to put in your existing tranny.

Thanks for the reply.

My52Chebby

My52Chebby

Quote from: "Leon"I've bought parts from them.  They have good stuff but they sometimes get careless on which part they ship so you end up with the wrong stuff.  They've made it good but it takes time.  Make sure when you order they repeat back to you what they are sending.

Thanks Leon,

I think I already have a "heads up" attitude when it comes to PATC. Anytime I sent them emails with 2 or 3 questions I never got more than ONE question answered.

Their communications don't inspire confidence, their website release date changes don't either... Jan... then Feb... then March... now NOTHING.

My52Chebby