Can it sound that bad???

Started by Dave, April 02, 2008, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well i had the roadster out tonite and really hammered it :!:  It seems to run fine and it sounds fine till you start leaning on the throttle I see i have exhaust leaks on both manifolds at the donuts . I used the sintered metal ones and they didnt seal.. When i hammer on it is sounds like its missing and you can hear the leaks going about 30 and hitting the throttle but not hammering it? Anyone experience this before.. Hell it breaks loose when it hit 2nd gear so im sure its not a miss but an exhaust leak induced crummy sound  :?: I have the regular donuts so ill swap them for the sintered metal ones and see if she seals then ive got to look at the mufflers and see if they are sealed enuff.. I hate exhaust ... At least its 49 and the sun is shining here. :lol:
Dave :wink:  :arrow:

EMSjunkie

I have had problems with my collector gaskets going bad after a short period of time,, guess I need to break down and get some of those "dead soft" copper gaskets. I haven't used the doughnut type gaskets in years, so I really ain't no help, but you knew that already :lol:  :lol:

you might check the mainfold gaskets at the head too, but what do I know :roll:

glad you got to take her out and "hammer" on her, now where are the gratuitous "burn out" pictures :?:  :?:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Im using ram horn manifolds and when i went to get the donuts the had only one in stock but 2 of the sintered metal ones so i decided to try em.. I have the old style in the tool box and im going to throw them on tonite after work. I really wanted this thing done but it looks like im gonna be chasing a couple wierd noises and issues for a while.. It seems to run fine although i have to make a mod to get more pedal travel and get the secondaries opening . Im still not sure if its got a wierd miss under load or the exhaust just sounds like S&*T when i hammer it? It chirps the tire when it shifts to second so its not running that bad   :?: I have a strange almost a pinging noise when i lightly load the engine down thru the hood and im thinking that is caused by the leaking donuts cause its not really a ping like timing but something different. I may have to mount my exhaust different also as it may be a little too rigid and transferring bad vibes thru the cockpit.. Yup the little things.. make ya crazy . Like i need help..

Bugpac

isnt that a 305?

The ones know for the cam lobes to wear off?
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
*****Youngest Member of THE TEAM*****

Dave

Quote from: "Bugpac"isnt that a 305?

The ones know for the cam lobes to wear off?

thats possible ..the 350's did it 2 but they were earlier this is an 86 motor.. yes a 305 but its got a roller cam.. did they have any of them go bad ??
dave

enjenjo

Rollers were not generally a problem.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"Rollers were not generally a problem.

Thats what I thought.. Ill look it over good this weekend and play with it. Like i sadi it seems to run good but...... My kids are going to eldora for sprint car racing saturday and they just told me that they are running a 50 lap midget race sunday in anderson indiana .. Supposed to be * near 60 sunday so i may just have to go get a taste of anderson speedway beer.  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

Mikej

Its probably has to much torque. Thought this was a hotrod? Put straight pipes on it. You won't even notice the donut leaking.

Dave

Well I changed the Donuts and its better but im convinced now that there is nothing wrong with the motor (it is down a smudge on kapoosh on number 3) cause it runs sweet. Im sure its the 40 buck swap meet glass packs.. Sooooooooo. Im gonna drive the wheels of this sumbitch and hope they burn out and sound better.. Its only a problem when you hammer it from a stop.. With all the wind noise going down the expressway you cant even hear it and passing dosent load up the exhaust enuff to drive me crazy.. Just cant hardly hear it..  I also have a wierd thing going on with the turbo 350 when i manually hold it in low and hammer it  :?:  :?:  :?: Guess i should  just quit that  hell I wanna drive around and look cool im not racin  8)  :D  8) And last and not least.. anyone got any idear why the front wont level it self out ? The back of the car is level but the front wont level out after i get outta it  :?:  :?: I can visibly see the right shackle is higher than the left but why..  :?:  :?: Shackle problem spring problem .. Do I have to crank it level with the panhard rod  :?:  Thats a thought but ive never had to do that before..
And my final thoughts.. You can sure tell its a roadster cause the cowl moves more than a coupe and its * windy..

One more horn blower and a thumbs up and im gonna PUKE.

river1

Quote from: "jusjunk"Guess i should  just quit that  hell I wanna drive around and look cool

you buy a new mask??

:lol:  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D  :lol:  :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

UGLY OLDS

Quote from: "river1"
Quote from: "jusjunk"Guess i should  just quit that  hell I wanna drive around and look cool

you buy a new mask??

later jim

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "UGLY OLDS"
Quote from: "river1"

you buy a new mask??

later jim

:ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)  :ha)

First member of team smart.. Hummmmmmmmm we the people....

kb426

Dave, everybody loves you :lol:  :lol:
TEAM SMART

Dave

Quote from: "kb426"Dave, everybody loves you :lol:  :lol:

Thanks bill .. I feel better now............
Love u too