need fan info

Started by kb426, April 08, 2008, 06:39:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Does anybody know if there is an oem puller fan that is the right size for a 32 Ford. My radiator is about 16.75 wide and 22 tall.
TEAM SMART

Deuce

Mechanical belt driven ...  :D  or electric  :cry:

I use mechanical ... on mine

Mine is a 1970 Chevelle 454 450HP  LS-6 fan ... with a Walker shroud.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

kb426

Unfortunately, electric. Mine is way below the center of the radiator. I can see that with the condenser and bug screen mounted that this summer it will need help.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I really like the Cooling Components fan that I used on the red 32 roadster.  It is quiet and works well but a little pricy.  I think it is worth the extra money spent.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Deuce

Quote from: "kb426"Unfortunately, electric. Mine is way below the center of the radiator.

I am sorry but I do not know which engine you are using.  :(
If you are using the SBC ... ZIPS makes a water pump riser ... that raises the fan centerline 5 and 1/2 inches.

I always use them in 32 Fords. Alternator and A/C compressor brackets are cast into the housing.

RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

kb426

I'm using that "other" brand of engine so the riser isn't an option. I found Cooling Components website but haven't had time to look it over yet.  I thought as many 32's that have been built with ac that there might be an economical fix.
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Full size GM cars from the late 80s to mid 90s have a fan that works great turned on it's side.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

There is a 90"s Taurus 3.8 liter fan setup that I see on ebay that is 2 speed. Anybody know anything about it?
TEAM SMART

Beck

Quote from: "kb426"There is a 90"s Taurus 3.8 liter fan setup that I see on ebay that is 2 speed. Anybody know anything about it?
The Tarus electirc fans are the fans of choice for the guys playing with the 4 cyl Cummins diesel conversions.

UGLY OLDS

Bill..
Try to find someone that has a Cooling Components fan mounted  that you can inspect...I have one that will be used on my A ...I "wired" it to a fresh battery just to see the performance ...It seemed to move more air than the OE fan on my Gran Marquis....The only down side is the thickness at the motor ...If your engine is mounted as low as you describe that should not be an issue ....

Bob
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

model a vette

I'm using an '88 Celebrity fan and shroud on my Model A with 350 SBC. They are available with either straight or curved blades. I'm using the curved. The stock GM shroud covers about 7/8ths of the core.
Ed

C9

Here's a couple pics of my 31 on 32 rails roadstr that may help.

The late Buick in this car is in the same place as the late Buick in my 32 roadster.
Only exception being the 32 has the engine 1" to the right and the 31 is dead center.
Found I didn't really need the extra 1" for steering to header clearance.

The fan shown on the 31 is a 15" Hayden and the one on the 32 is a 17" Hayden.

I'll probably have room to install a 17" fan on the 31 since I now have an aluminum radiator.
It's thinner than the 4-core Walker in the 32 as well as the lower radiator bib is a little further to the right which is where the conflict.
The 32's fan just clears the bib w/hose.

A little extrapolation may help you decide if you can accomplish what you want without a riser.

No risers for Buicks so I have to live with what I have, but it doesn't make too much difference since the 32 runs cool anyway.

C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.