Tech..

Started by Dave, March 25, 2008, 06:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Well after going almost off the deep end last night with everything going wrong tonite when I got home I tried to slow down and do something different. As you know ifin you read last nights post I got my breathers I needed for the new finned valve covers and they didnt fit the holes either so I had to open up the holes with a die grinder. Well anytime you get a die grinder after luminum  :wink: you are gonna load up the bit or stone you are using. I did just that last night and I finally got one side opened up enuff to work .. Its still pretty tight in and out but it should work.. So tonite when I got home I had after the other cover. I know that when machining aluminum that oil or the best thing is wd40 will keep the bit from loading up. Now this is on a mill or a drill press not a CNC machine with big time coolant. So rather that try to spray oil or wd40 on my die grinder while im working the hole by hand (easy there) I got an idea..  I went to the bench where I keep my GoJo hand cleaner and I dipped the bit in the gojo and had after the hole keeping a consistent dip to lube the bit.. Worked like a champ.. I spent over an hour last night cause of the loading up problem on something that took all of 20 minutes at the most tonite..
Just a little tip for yall. My center bolt covers came with some Chinese rubber ? washers to go under the nuts that hold the covers on the engine and after one install they are junk.. We make parts at work that will work  great as a washer actually a sealing washer after proper modification to seal around the studs they gave me for the covers.. Ill have to get pics of that too. The part has an oring pocket in it and I changed the orings to Teflon orings just because I had some and made the mods i needed and I have the driver side on and it looks like its gonna work great.
Now tomorrow when I get home ill install the passenger side cover (its currently waiting for the silicone gasket adhesive to dry) and my new holley carburetor will be here.. Tech for tomorrow is how to remove your carb with a BFH in one quick blow and not mess up the intake or the paint on the firewall..
Stay tuned this will be fun.............. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave :wink:  :arrow:
ps: I dont give a S^&T how they do it in Texas :wink:

40_Tudor

Bees wax works best on aluminum. Just touch the bit with a little bees wax and drill away. I use a drill file that has large flutes made for aluminum. They sell them at most swap meets for about $8.

Charlie Chops 1940

Not to start in on the Chinese parts but it sure seems like they make a lot of looks like stuff...looks like a gasket...ship it. We used to kid around at work that if it fit in the box it was fit enough to ship. Drugs fit in the bottle...fit enough to ship.  What next?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I use WD40, just spray it on every once in a while.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chimp koose

I once had to make a poorly cast set of intake adapters fit a muchly ported set of race heads. I used a bar of soap to keep the bit from plugging. I would just touch the spinning bit to the soap and keep going.

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "jusjunk"
Stay tuned this will be fun.............. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

There ya go again.....hatin' on Texas :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

just 'cuz I'm wearin' shorts to work, and yer still shovelin' snow :P  :P  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

tomslik

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "jusjunk"

There ya go again.....hatin' on Texas :shock:  :lol:  :lol:

just 'cuz I'm wearin' shorts to work, and yer still shovelin' snow :P  :P  :lol:

Vance

shovelin" something anyway....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list