Switch pitch torque converter

Started by sirstude, March 01, 2008, 09:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

I painted the firewall, motor and trans last weekend, and was going to install them today after I finished up the brake lines.  I was trying to put the converter in and it appears that it is a regular T400 torque converter.  I am trying to get some measurements to confirm that, but it fits my regular T400 fine.  It doesn't go far enough in the switch pitch to engage the pump ears.  Anyway, I guess I am looking for a switch pitch converter if anyone happens to know the whereabouts, and I know they are rare.   Webrodder did a build on converters a week ago or so and they have a site that rebuilds them and says they sometimes have cores, so I will check them on Monday.  Not the best news I have had recently.  I am going to get the guy that built the tranny to come by and check it, but I think the coverter probably got switch when he had it laying around his garage for a few years.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Deuce

I bought my switch pitch converter from

Torque Converter Services
5400 Fairfield Rd.
Columbia SC 29203

1-800-537-7416

They come in two sizes ... I got the smaller one ( more stall )

Ask for Cameron ... tell him Randy Nash gave you the number ...  :D
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

enjenjo

The switch pitch reaction shaft is bigger since it's hollow. I have an 11" switch pitch convertor from a super turbine 300 which will fit  the 400
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

wayne petty

i have several sources for converters out here in los angeles also...

ill call monday for availability and pricing...

i forgot to look??? chevy or pontiac style......i think they are slightly differnt...

sirstude

Thanks for all the help guys, the quickest way to go is Frank's converter, but I will keep the other info for future reference.  For information, the stuff I have is BOP in a Chevy case.  The guy that did it does know his stuff, just the transmission bounced between about 3 of us for a few years, and the torque converter got switched somewhere along the line.  Probably sitting on someone's shelf right now.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

wayne petty

the local tranny parts place has a converter supplier that has some in stock... the variable pitch units are part number gm-4...

the better converter shops that do high prerformance converters out here are out of stock on cores... at least the ones i talked to....

check pm's   for my cost....