Any one near Quincy Illinois?

Started by 38HAULR, February 11, 2008, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

38HAULR

This is on behalf of an Aussie Rodder who posted on our site who has found a vehicle for sale ,and would naturally be hesitant to purchase sight unseen.  A lesson I might add that I learned the hard way from a Florida purchase last year . Pictures look better than reality.   Thanks.   Frank

Robza

Thanks for posting Frank
I also posted about this in the Larry Brown Collectors Cars Thread.

38HAULR

No probs Rob, I was not sure re your access........Frank.

58 Yeoman

I hope you find someone to check it out for you.  Back in 06, I checked out a car for TJ's Dad from Australia.  I took video's of it and posted them on YouTube so he could see the engine running and the car driving down the road.  In the end, he didn't buy it; I think the cost of shipping, etc. was just too high.

Back in 2000, I drove 16 hours straight to Rapid City, SD. to buy a car from a dealer.  Wow, what a misrepresentation that one was.  I came home empty handed.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

38HAULR

It really gets you in the pit of the stomach Phil, I share your experience ., some years back ,got the family up a 5AM left on a trip north of the state for an approx 8hr return trip to look at a vehicle described as a 'gem'  by the seller on a phone conversation, the vehicle turned out to be crap on first glance. I just made a picnic day out of it for the wife and kids in the end and headed home.  Then as I had prev described on another post more recently [ last year,]I looked at nice pictures,spoke to a "reputable" dealer over in Florida and made a purchase for importing to Aust.  I really got disappointed with it on arrival.  I think it not unreasonable to be given an accurate answer to questions, or an honest description on what is offered ,before deciding to purchase.......Frank.

phat rat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I hope you find someone to check it out for you.  Back in 06, I checked out a car for TJ's Dad from Australia.  I took video's of it and posted them on YouTube so he could see the engine running and the car driving down the road.  In the end, he didn't buy it; I think the cost of shipping, etc. was just too high.
h
Back in 2000, I drove 16 hours straight to Rapid City, SD. to buy a car from a dealer.  Wow, what a misrepresentation that one was.  I came home empty handed.

Was that Motion Unlimited? If so I can sure understand as I was there in 94 and had been warned beforehand by some locals out there. They were sure right as too what I would see.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

reborn55

Take it from another who knows.  If you can't see it in person, don't buy it.  Using another persons eyes is not the same as using your own.  I don't care if they are a friend or what.  Can lead to bad feelings and not owning what you think you are getting.

38HAULR

Good point Ken, general condition can be an individual perception. Different people are prepared to pay different amounts for the same vehicle.And also if the vehicle is in the upper or lower price range for the expected going rate for that make or model.  However for example in my case I would have asked someone to check if the floors are rusted, also trunk floor ,and anything else visibly broken,these would be specific questions with a yes/no answer.  The vehicle I got was described as having new shocks/tie rod ends/radiator/water pump/ and drives good.  None of the bits were anything like new,and look like original, and she was not running on all cyls,as well as an exhaust rotted and joined with a loose fitting sleeve.,then the busted qtr vent glass on both sides due to rusted frames. The vehicle was described verbally on my asking ,as having solid floors,the other "new bits" were in his ad. An independent check negating  would have started the alarm bells ringing to look elsewhere for another vehicle.......Frank.

rumrumm

I live an hour from Quincy. I may be able to help you out.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Robza

Quote from: "rumrumm"I live an hour from Quincy. I may be able to help you out.

Thanks rumrum but after seeing some negative feedback on the seller I've decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

Bib_Overalls

Friend of mine drove from North East Arkansas to South Georga to purchase a car described by the seller as having "A nickle's worth of rust."

In fact, the car was rusted out.

When my friend confronted the seller he said "Well, they don't get much for rust these days."
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

rx4ord

There are good stories as well. I bought a car sight unseen on the recommendation of a bloke I had never met. He looked and took pics for me and got a couple of grand off the original price. I now own a 31 vicky thanks to a fellow Aussie rodder. Dave
When I was young I went hard and fast.Now I\'m old I still go hard, only slower