Progress!, almost ready to pie-cut the hood

Started by 48builder, January 23, 2008, 06:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

On the days when it is above 20 degrees here in the frozen north I try to go out and work on the car. I've been able to get all of the grill mounting brackets modified and the original mounting holes filled and the bumper mounting brackets tacked in place. Since I subframed the car that involved a lot of work. I also got the inner fender panels modified to fit.

Then I started on the hood. I bent strip to fill the center depression. I bent it just enough so that the hood will have a peak equal to the one on the cowl. I am going to keep the hood ornament, so I took the filler strip far enough forward so the ornament fit right.

Then I removed the side moulding and welded the mounting strip in place.

I realized that the radiator support I had in place was not strong enough, so I am having a new one made. I will weld that in place and then bolt everything back together, put the hood back on and latch it, and then pie-cut it. I'm thinking 1/2 - 1 inch will look good. I have a couple articles I saved over the years that explain how to do it pretty well. I don't want to take a lot out. Just enough to make people wonder if it was done.

Still shooting for a fall drive if I can keep the work going, and if the cold weather cooperates.

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

freddrew

Looking Good!!  Please post pictures of the pie cut procedure when you do it.  I'm just getting started on my 1947 Chev Aerosedan.  I have louvered the hood with 6 rows.  I also think the nose should be a little less pronounced.  

Fred Drew
Fred

Jbird

Looks good, looks like a lot of patience and effort went into it. I'm going the other way on my 68 Chevy PU hood, removing the center ridge to make it smooooth.
What is accomplished by pie cutting the hood?  esplain please.

J 8) bird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

UGLY OLDS

Looks neat Walt...Rodders Digest had an article where Gerry pie-cut the hood on his delivery...  Very good article....

Bob....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

phat46

Quote from: "freddrew"Looking Good!!  Please post pictures of the pie cut procedure when you do it.  I'm just getting started on my 1947 Chev Aerosedan.  I have louvered the hood with 6 rows.  I also think the nose should be a little less pronounced.  

Fred Drew

Fred, I know where you can see a finsihed '46 pie cut hood with lots of pictures of how it was done..... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

GPster

I can see a lot of thought went into your plans for modifications.  That car is going to look low down "Mean" in the front with-out the metal/ground dragging lack of clearance. The lack of patience you've shown so far makes me think that you'l have no problem with the "Pancake" proceedure. GPster

GPster

Please omit "lack of" from my previous reply. I was thinking of my score, not yours'. GPster

rumrumm

Cool! I really like the look of the shortened grill and bumper configuration.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

48builder

Quote from: "GPster"Please omit "lack of" from my previous reply. I was thinking of my score, not yours'. GPster

HAHA. Well, the deed is done. It is all tacked together. I'll finish weld it this week I hope.

Here's how I did it.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

freddrew

Looks good!!!  Thanks for the pics.
Fred
Fred

Jbird

Oh, OK now I get it. You needed a bit more front down force so, instead of adding one of them ricer wings you sliced and diced. It looks really nice, what you've done to the front of your car really compliments it's original styling.

Don't you just love welding all them long stretches of thin sheet metal, especially at the sharp end of the pie cut. Tig? Mig? Gas?
   J 8) bird
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dave