Remote power brake booster???

Started by Jbird, January 07, 2008, 05:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird

I'm trying to find some poop on a remote brake booster I've inherited. Team Smart.... Make me proud!!  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

Dave

Quote from: "Jbird"I'm trying to find some poop on a remote brake booster I've inherited. Team Smart.... Make me proud!!  Jbird 8)

Thats perfect.. No info no pic... Ok ive never seen one like that is that any help..
Dave

Leon

UGLY OLDS

EXCELLENT clear coat    :shock: ....JBird..You've out done yourself this time  :!:   :?   :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Jbird

It never ceases to amaze me how wise Team Smart members are. I woulda never thought to include some visual information along with my poop request.  

It's all hydraulic and vacuum, no place for a pushrod.  Thanks for the complements.  jbird 8)

enjenjo

It's a Hydrovac, what do you need to know? you need two of them for a dual circuit brake system. The line from the master cylinder comes in, and goes out to the wheel cylinder/calipers. You need a vacuum line on it to operate the booster.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jbird

Thanks Frank, I see now why you're the Grand PooBaa of Team Smart.For some reason I thought a hydrovac ran off the power steering hydraulic system. The power brakes on my BMW were tied into the power steering.

I'm gonna google hydrovac and see what comes up. Thanks again PooBaa (aka the nudist lawn manicurist)  Jbird 8)

enjenjo

Quote from: "Jbird"Thanks Frank, I see now why you're the Grand PooBaa of Team Smart.For some reason I thought a hydrovac ran off the power steering hydraulic system. The power brakes on my BMW were tied into the power steering.

I'm gonna google hydrovac and see what comes up. Thanks again PooBaa (aka the nudist lawn manicurist)  Jbird 8)

The ones that operate off the power steering pump, are a Hydroboost. They are made by the same company as the Hyrdovac, Bendix.

The hydrovac came in after WWII and were used in trucks. On those, the fluid from the master cylinder activated the boost. There was a version for truck trailers too that operated independent of the truck, except for a vacuum line. On the trailer version, a vacuuum valve operated the boost.

The only car OE applications I know were in Ford Thunderbird, and Lincoln in the mid 50s.

They were somwhat popular for street rods in the 70s before everyone went to dual circuit master cylinders, they can still be used, but you need to use two of them. They pretty much went by the wayside when ECI came up with the street rod booster.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

UGLY OLDS

Jbird....my kid's Dodge had one when it was first built ..It was the same size as the one you have.. Not very effective, I'm afraid...I installed it mainly because the car had MASSIVE drum brakes front & rear..( "Ultra" low budget project... :D )
I would not use another for many of the reasons Frank explained ...If you're going to go through the hassle of routing vacuum under the floor, I would use a "normal" booster with the dual master cylinder...IMHO

Bob.....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****